Tube socket mounting dimensions.

Thermioniclife · 1088

Offline Thermioniclife

on: September 02, 2019, 08:16:47 AM
Hello all,
I am awaiting an order for a BeePre and a Crack amp.
Can anyone out there tell me the mounting hole diameter and mounting screw center to center dimensions for the 4 pin and 9 pin tube sockets on the BeePre and the octal on the Crack 1.1 amp.
Thanks, enjoy the Holiday.

Lee R.

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #1 on: September 02, 2019, 08:24:24 AM
I will provide this information if you promise not to buy teflon sockets or the new ceramic wafer sockets out of China.

The 4 pin socket fits in a 30.5mm hole with mounting holes 38.7mm apart.

The octal socket fits in a 26.5mm hole with mounting holes 35mm apart.

The 9 pin socket fits in a 22mm hole with mounting holes 28mm apart.

In all instances we add some additional space for tolerance, as ceramic sockets are not machined and vary just a bit.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline Thermioniclife

Reply #2 on: September 02, 2019, 08:38:10 AM
Thanks PB,
I Promise. I have some Belton Micalex Octals on hand. I have used them in the past and they seem fine to me.
Was thinking of getting some ux4's with the collet type pin sockets.
What's the deal with Teflon sockets?
What is the problem with them? I've never used them.
Thanks Pal.

Lee R.

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #3 on: September 02, 2019, 08:47:04 AM
The 4 pin teflon sockets have hardware that loosens too easily.  The 9 pin ones have vertical posts that are really difficult to wire to, and the octals have both problems.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Offline Thermioniclife

Reply #4 on: September 02, 2019, 09:03:37 AM
Roger that PB,
I will use the sockets that you supply. I checked the Micalex Octals and they wont work.
BTW most things from China generally makes me Nauseous.

Lee R.

Deke609

Reply #5 on: September 02, 2019, 11:40:49 AM
The 4 pin teflon sockets have hardware that loosens too easily.

I just happened to confirm this today. Most of the nuts that retain the 4 pin sockets/posts on my recently built Kaiju were loose. Given that the socket housing is teflon, I figured there was no chance of tightening them and having them stay tight. So I soldered the nuts to the posts!

I'll add that the 4 pin teflon sockets were a real PITA to install b/c the hole spacing on the retaining ring does not line up with stock. So, no problem, just buy the ones that come with an adapter, right?  Uh-uh. The adapters are almost useless (at least the ones I received). I managed to make them work, but only after a lot of filing (and cursing).

cheers, Derek
« Last Edit: September 02, 2019, 11:48:59 AM by Deke609 »

Offline Thermioniclife

Reply #6 on: September 02, 2019, 12:18:37 PM
Thanks Deke,
I will use the sockets that Bottlehead supplies.
Having said that I would prefer a collet style pin connector over a bent steel connector because they can loosen up.
But everything has compromises I guess.
As far as Teflon is concerned I assembled electronic and electro-mechanical stuff for a company that supplies submersible boats for the military in the U.S. and Coalition partners all over the globe. All wire that was used was Teflon insulated. It is not the most friendly wire to strip but I can tell you it's fantastic for its resistance to heat and abrasion. Therefore I was disappointed to here PB's opinion of Teflon sockets, but I will heed his advise.
Thanks for the reply,
Regards, Lee

Lee R.

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #7 on: September 02, 2019, 02:54:33 PM
The BeePre also comes with Teflon insulated wire. 

I do very much like the 4 pin jumbo Teflon sockets.  Even if they loosen up, they are so huge that tightening them up is a breeze.

Paul "PB" Birkeland