DAC for Mainline

chuotcon15 · 1663

Offline chuotcon15

on: July 27, 2019, 03:25:42 AM
Hello everyone,
I am looking for a good DAC to pair with my Mainline, but I can't find any DAC on Bottlehead or any topic discussing about it. Anyone please recommends one for me? my budget is about $2k. Thanks a lot.

Offline bernieclub

Reply #1 on: July 27, 2019, 04:12:25 AM
I love my BH DAC but no longer available.   I also have a Schitt Gungnir with multi-bit upgrade...just as good, but different.   Lot's of drive and silky texture.
Bernie

Bernie Zitomer

Offline Alonzo

• Not all those who wander are lost
Reply #2 on: July 27, 2019, 07:59:51 AM
+1 on the Gungnir Multibit, I use it with my Mainline.  But the Bifrost Multibit is 90% of the Gungnir at half the price (to my ears).

Alonzo
Gameroom:>Mainline to HD820, SR45 to Pipette
>BeePree Kaiju & SII to Altec 19 knockoffs
Office:>BH Stat amp to Koss 95x, T20 SET to JBL 4309s
Den:> MorePlay 845 SET to Altec Valencia's

Offline adeep42

Reply #3 on: July 27, 2019, 09:08:21 AM
I enjoy the Bifrost in my office system. My big system has a Mitek Liberty.

Offline chuotcon15

Reply #4 on: July 27, 2019, 03:06:37 PM
Thanks for all your suggestion. My currently DAC is the Bifrost Multibit. Is is worth to upgrade to Gungnir Multibit?

Deke609

Reply #5 on: July 27, 2019, 03:21:17 PM
What is your music player source (CD player, computer, phone)? Streaming and/or burned files? 

cheers, Derek

Offline chuotcon15

Reply #6 on: July 27, 2019, 03:25:57 PM
What is your music player source (CD player, computer, phone)? Streaming and/or burned files? 

cheers, Derek

Computer, most files are WAV and Flac.

Offline ALL212

Reply #7 on: July 27, 2019, 03:36:28 PM
If you've got a $2k budget the Schiit Yggy is in that range but a bit high.  I've compared it to the Gungnir Milti and the Bifrost Multi.  It's better than both and I wouldn't trade mine in for less but the Gungnir is very very close.

Aaron Luebke

Deke609

Reply #8 on: July 27, 2019, 03:42:45 PM
I don't have the Gungnir, but I do have the Bifrost and the Yggdrasil. Yggy was a big step up from Bifrost. But it is huge and not very desktop friendly, unless you have a really large desk.  I recall reading reviews on Head-fi comparing Yggdrasil and Gungnir and some people preferred Gungnir. 

Just a thought: with the money saved on a Gungnir, you could build or buy a dedicated music server/pc w/ linear power supply. I've found that music players and their power supplies -- i.e., everything that comes before the DAC -- have a plainly noticeable impact on sound quality.

cheers,  Derek

Offline adydula

Reply #9 on: July 30, 2019, 03:07:28 AM
Been using a Schitt Bifrost MB and IMO its not worth the upgrade to Gungnir.....I havent listened to the Yggy but this is where I would go next if I ever get that "itch"...

Alex

Note there is a guy going by "atomicbob" that is one of the very few independent engineers with years of analyzing stuff with the high end test gear that is very much enamoured over the performance of the Bifrost MB. He has tested all the Schitt dacs and even though the numbers indicate slightly better specs the higher up the line you go...he has stated several times that the Bifrost is uncannily good damm the specs!   
« Last Edit: August 06, 2019, 11:09:50 AM by adydula »

Offline adydula

Reply #10 on: September 20, 2019, 01:33:30 PM
Juust an update in case you havent got your dac yet?
Schitt has a new Bifrost 2 that seems to be very nice...and it has their new Unison USB interface...

Alex

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #11 on: September 20, 2019, 01:49:17 PM
Atomicbob is local and very knowledgeable regarding test gear and procedures. He's also a heckuva nice guy. IME it's worth listening to what he has to say.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline adydula

Reply #12 on: September 23, 2019, 10:03:56 AM
Doc,

Your el correcto, I have traded emails with him, and he is a wealth of knowledge....

He is why I have a BIFROST and not anything else at the moment.

Alex