History!

Doc B. · 2351

Online Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
on: September 24, 2019, 06:11:32 AM
This is what appears to be a very, very early S.E.X. amp kit, ca. 1995. You can tell because it comes with speakers and the original surplus power transformers which had a propensity to blow. I would suggest to anyone buying it - don't build it! IMO it has far more value kept just as it is. Kinda thinking about bidding myself, to add to my collection of the original prototype S.E.X. amp and the very first S.E.X. kit we sold, which I reacquired several years ago.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NOS-Vintage-BOTTLEHEAD-S-E-X-Tube-Amp-KIT-Single-Ended-eXperimenters-Amplifier/123916621031?hash=item1cda0194e7:g:FEQAAOSwRbhdiXgu

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline pboser

Reply #1 on: September 24, 2019, 06:44:59 AM
Wow, love it!  That's what I remember starting with - later became Afterglows, with a chassis transplant, power transformer transplant, and Afterglow conversion. (Those amps need an update - I've got to get on that!) And I still have those MCM drivers somewhere, too.
Great Bottlehead history!

Peter Boser

Offline mcandmar

• Not all engineers are civil
Reply #2 on: September 25, 2019, 03:23:44 AM
That should go into the Bottlehead Museum. You will probobly never find another one...

M.McCandless

Offline EricS

• My DIY Home Theater
Reply #3 on: September 25, 2019, 01:32:20 PM
This looks like one of those situations where you'll kick yourself afterward if you don't get it now...  What a cool piece from the beginning!

Eric

Haven't electrocuted myself yet...   
There are ALWAYS User Serviceable Parts Inside!

Online Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #4 on: September 25, 2019, 03:06:31 PM
It's interesting, but I can't say I'm feeling it's a must-have. Probably has something to do with being the guy who made it in the first place. Kinda like seeing Alfa Romeo GTV 1750s selling for $50K. I had $3500 into my '69 back in the 80s and had a blast with it. Never would have autocrossed the crap out of it or blasted around Sears Point (Infineon for you young'uns) if I'd had to pay $50K. Don't need to buy one now - but wish I still had the old one to flip!

Maybe the kit will go for crazy money.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline Tubejack

Reply #5 on: September 26, 2019, 05:35:01 AM
It does bring back memories.  I remember back in about '97 I built an original SEX pair, and one PT did indeed blow, then converted them to Afterglows, then added the Tucker shunt reg/CCS.  ..... wish I hadn't sold them to help purchase my SEX Amp II, which I sold to help finance my Mainline .....

There are 10 types of people in this world,
Those that understand Binary and those that Don't!

Offline Raymond P.

Reply #6 on: September 26, 2019, 07:06:20 AM
I'm curious now, what actually happens when a transformer "blows"?

Raymond P.

Offline Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #7 on: September 26, 2019, 08:27:23 AM
In this case, it developed an internal short circuit which cause it to blow fuses immediately. It is not repairable.

Paul Joppa

Offline oguinn

Reply #8 on: September 26, 2019, 08:33:08 AM
I'm winning the auction currently but just had a new expenditure come up, so hopefully someone outbids me. Maybe I can donate it to the BH museum in exchange for some Jagers ;) (and a massive fistful of cash).

Jameson O'Guinn

-

Main System: Schiit Bifrost MB, Rega Planar 6 with Exact cartridge, Eros 2, BeePre, Kaiju/Stereomour II, Jagers, Mainline

Desktop System: Crack with Speedball

Online Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #9 on: September 26, 2019, 08:58:53 AM
I'm winning the auction currently but just had a new expenditure come up, so hopefully someone outbids me. Maybe I can donate it to the BH museum in exchange for some Jagers ;) (and a massive fistful of cash).

We can talk.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Online Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #10 on: September 26, 2019, 02:55:31 PM
I was looking more closely at the invoice with that ebay kit. Ordered 8/31/96, invoice number 28 - for the year! That gives you an idea of how much (or rather, how little) cash flow we had back then. It took about 3-4 weeks to get a kit together back then too, shipped 9/20/96. Colin was 5, Kate was a toddler, Eileen was being a full time mom and working part time on the business. You can bet I had not quit my part time day job yet.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline oguinn

Reply #11 on: September 26, 2019, 03:54:00 PM
I’m no longer the highest bidder. Bittersweet moment in my life.

Jameson O'Guinn

-

Main System: Schiit Bifrost MB, Rega Planar 6 with Exact cartridge, Eros 2, BeePre, Kaiju/Stereomour II, Jagers, Mainline

Offline oguinn

Reply #12 on: September 28, 2019, 05:23:04 PM
$455 was too rich for my blood. Congrats to whoever bought it!

Jameson O'Guinn

-

Offline Cary

Reply #13 on: September 29, 2019, 06:22:23 AM
$455 was too rich for my blood. Congrats to whoever bought it!

Same here.

Offline Raymond P.

Reply #14 on: September 29, 2019, 04:56:33 PM
So, an unassembled, discontinued Bottlehead kit appreciates 3.94% per year. Not a bad investment.  ;)

Raymond P.