Tubes won't fit

Krishk · 629

Offline Krishk

on: October 10, 2019, 04:11:12 PM
Hi, I'm   pretty new to building tube amps, and I just got to the glow test of the bottlehead crack. The manual states that I need to insert the tubes into the 9 pin and 8 pin sockets, but the tubes won't fit into the sockets. I checked twice to see if I installed the sockets correctly and I did. Is there a special method not mentioned in the manual to insert the tubes? Is it possible I was sent the wrong tubes or somehow damaged the sockets? Thanks

Offline oguinn

Reply #1 on: October 10, 2019, 04:55:42 PM
Do you have the pins oriented properly? There’s a gap in the pins to help you orient them, and a tab in the middle post of the 6080

Jameson O'Guinn

-

Main System: Schiit Bifrost MB, Rega Planar 6 with Exact cartridge, Eros 2, BeePre, Kaiju/Stereomour II, Jagers, Mainline

Desktop System: Crack with Speedball

Offline Krishk

Reply #2 on: October 10, 2019, 05:13:32 PM
Do you have the pins oriented properly? There’s a gap in the pins to help you orient them, and a tab in the middle post of the 6080

I see now thank you, I just had to apply a bit more force to the smaller tube to fit it in the pins.  Once again thanks for the help

Offline adydula

Reply #3 on: October 11, 2019, 02:20:09 AM
Let me add this:

If you plan on tube swapping in search for audi nirvana, remember the force it took you to insert etc.

When you try to remove vacuum tubes you will pull and gently rock a little back and forth to get the tube to come out.

At the same time the pins in the tube socket are going to move and if your solder joints are not good wires, connections may come loose or
crack in the solder joints..

So make sure those solder joints are really good and be careful removing and replacing....

FYI...YMMV

Alex

Offline Krishk

Reply #4 on: October 11, 2019, 07:18:28 AM
Let me add this:

If you plan on tube swapping in search for audi nirvana, remember the force it took you to insert etc.

When you try to remove vacuum tubes you will pull and gently rock a little back and forth to get the tube to come out.

At the same time the pins in the tube socket are going to move and if your solder joints are not good wires, connections may come loose or
crack in the solder joints..

So make sure those solder joints are really good and be careful removing and replacing....

FYI...YMMV

Alex

Thank you for the tip will definitely into consideration. Is it typical for force to be used when inserting and removing tubes?

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #5 on: October 11, 2019, 07:21:01 AM
If it requires no force to push the tube into the socket, then the socket won't make good contact with the tube pins and it needs to be replaced.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man