Hum... [resolved]

VineSerf · 657

Offline VineSerf

on: October 16, 2019, 04:21:01 PM
I seek your assistance in resolving a left channel hum on a recently completed Crack 1.1.

Some background: when first powered up I managed to fry a 207 ohm resistor, from a bit of ham-fistedness (https://forum.bottlehead.com/index.php?topic=11908.0). Following advice received here, I've replaced the fried resistor, and there now are indications of power coming to the appropriate terminals 1 - 10. However, while music does indeed play through the right channel, on the left there is only a hum. It occurs even in the absence of a music source, and with the volume pot set at zero.

I've searched the forum for posts on this topic and a common cause appears to be problems with the ground circuit. I re-flowed all the connectors for the black wires, but this did not address the problem. I cleaned the posts of the 12AU7, both physically and with contact cleaner and Caig deoxit; no change.

I've just re-tested the resistances and voltages, with the following result:

All resistances tested within spec except the ground tab on the RCA jacks. This test yielded 0.5 ohms, not zero.

All non-zero voltages tested within spec. All terminals that should have returned 0 volts (3,6,8 and 10) yielded 0.5 mV.

I am out of my depth here and would be extremely grateful for any assistance you might offer.

Many thanks,

Steve R
« Last Edit: October 17, 2019, 08:22:40 PM by Paul Birkeland »

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #1 on: October 16, 2019, 04:24:26 PM
A half a volt in a high voltage circuit is probably nothing to be too excited about.

Can you post some photos of your build?

Can you also list the voltages you have on terminals 1-10?

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline VineSerf

Reply #2 on: October 17, 2019, 07:33:17 AM
Here are the voltages on terminals 1 - 10:

1.   82
2.  173
3.   0.5mV
4.  173
5.   71
6.   0.5mV
7.  106
8.   0.5
9.   98
10. 0.5

I've also attached a number of views of the build. Note that these photos were taken before I replaced the 207ohm resistor that runs across the power supply. I'll be happy to provide other views as needed.

Thanks!

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #3 on: October 17, 2019, 07:45:04 AM
You absolutely have to clean up that green wire that feeds A4/A5.  That's way, way, way too much jacket stripped off and if that touches the chassis for any prolonged time, your power transformer will fry.

You are missing the white wire that goes from the volume pot to the 9 pin socket.  I am surprised that this didn't tank your voltages in the process!

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Offline grufti

Reply #4 on: October 17, 2019, 07:48:03 AM
It looks to me like the bottom resistor on the 1/4 inch headphone jack isn't fully soldered on one side, the side facing the camera.

Deke609

Reply #5 on: October 17, 2019, 07:58:50 AM
It looks to me like the bottom resistor on the 1/4 inch headphone jack isn't fully soldered on one side, the side facing the camera.

Ditto. It doesn't look to me like it has been soldered at all on that side.

Offline VineSerf

Reply #6 on: October 17, 2019, 10:08:22 AM
Wow...thanks for the rapid and specific feedback. I'll address those issues asap.

Much appreciated!

Offline VineSerf

Reply #7 on: October 17, 2019, 12:27:31 PM
Success!

I added the missing white wire (Aargh. So embarrassing). Added more solder to the terminal on the output jack where the lower resistor was attached, added insulation to the green wire where it feeds A4/A5. No more hum. Just clean, quiet, beautiful music, even without burning in the new tubes.

Thanks for the helpful advice and forbearance.

Steve R

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #8 on: October 17, 2019, 08:22:32 PM
Awesome, I'm glad you got it up and running!

Paul "PB" Birkeland