News: Trouble logging in? Log in from the login page.
December 14, 2019, 11:05:34 AM

Author Topic: Troubleshooting - found trouble...  (Read 134 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline ALL212

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 498
Troubleshooting - found trouble...
« on: October 04, 2019, 01:39:57 PM »
A friend of mine purchased a Reduction from the 'bay.  Nice build, well done, however...

After some time horrible noises would come from one channel and in one case the speaker fuse blew.

I found a cold solder joint at 60 on the resistor.  The wire had solder all around it but was not making a solid connection.  If this resistor lost connection would it have done what he described as the symptoms?

I've reflowed the joint, ran all resistance checks and all voltage checks - everything checks fine.

Thanks!
Aaron Luebke

Offline Paul Birkeland

  • Global Moderator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 11753
Re: Troubleshooting - found trouble...
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2019, 02:17:34 PM »
Yes, a loose connection there would cause the high DC voltage to be there intermittently, which could make low frequency transients to annoy a solid state amp and blow a speaker fuse.
Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline ALL212

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 498
Re: Troubleshooting - found trouble...
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2019, 02:36:43 PM »
Ouch...

I didn't want to test it live until I had confirmation.

As always much appreciated Paul! 
Aaron Luebke

Offline ALL212

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 498
Re: Troubleshooting - found trouble...
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2019, 01:42:07 PM »
Follow up:

While "in the shop" I took the liberty of pulling some parts from my stock and I did some updates.  The owner reported he heard an improvement so I thought I'd list what I did here.  To be honest I didn't expect any audible improvement. 

All three power supply caps replaced with Nichicon.  In doing this I discovered the issue with the cold solder joint.  I replaced one diode with a Cree Shotkey and the 3300 uF with another Nichicon.  The last power supply cap got a 2.2uf WIMA attached to it.



Aaron Luebke

Online Deke609

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 793
Re: Troubleshooting - found trouble...
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2019, 03:02:27 PM »
  The last power supply cap got a 2.2uf WIMA attached to it.

There's some interesting points/ideas about bypassing large capacitance electrolytic power supply caps with small capacitance film cap in the recent "Bypassing Capacitors" thread on the Tube DIY Asylum sub-board ... but they are interspersed amongst a lot of totally off the rails bickering.

Lower ESR and ESL, and faster transient response are mentioned as possible benefits.

cheers, Derek
Derek
______

Roon Intel NUC ->  Yggdrasil DAC -> BeePre (w/ BeeQuiet and EML 300B)  -> Kaiju (w/ DCFil and EML 300B) or Stereomour II (2A3 [EML Mesh] and 45 Conversion [EML 45B])  -> Audeze LCD4