Bottlehead Kits > Eros Tape

Finally assembled, but not sounding great

(1/3) > >>

vakman:
Hello fellow R2R enthusiasts,

I ordered my Eros Tape kit last December, but finally had it finished yesterday.

It all seems to work fine and has been carefully assembled.

Only issue is the sound. It’s lacking highs, Bass and sounds a little muffled. Definitely worse than using stock inbuilt preamp.

Unit is a Technics RS1500 with the Eros connected to the tape head in a clever way. Using existing head cables, but connected to a new switchable RCA board at the back of the Technics.

Any suggestions on where to start?

Appreciate any help.

Thanks

Paul Birkeland:
How did the voltage check go?

Doc B.:
Typically if this is a dramatic difference it could be due to an error in the wiring of the eq components, or possibly something in the switching setup could be causing a problem. Does the switch completely switch out the internal preamp when switching to the Eros? If the head is being loaded by both preamps at the same time that could cause a problem. If the difference is subtle it can be something as simple as cable capacitance from the deck to the Eros input, or from the Eros output to the equipment downstream of it impacting the sound. I have been to more than one trade show where we needed to change the cables from deck to Eros or Eros to preamp because of a cable mismatch.

Are the voltages all correct in the Eros? Have you run a tone tape to see what the frequency response of the deck is like when using the Eros?

vakman:
I'm not sure, the person who serviced by Technics built the pre-amp at my request.

I suppose, once I open it up and take a photos and post them here, we should be able to find a solution to the problem.

If it helps, I do have a good soldering iron, multi-meter, oscilloscope + an alignment tape.

I will try and seek guidance on what to do here. Hope that's ok with everyone.

Thanks again

Deke609:

--- Quote from: vakman on November 04, 2019, 02:18:10 PM ---If it helps, I do have a... multi-meter

--- End quote ---

Do the resistance and voltage checks set out in the manual and post any discrepancies.

cheers, Derek

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version