Help Troubleshooting Quickie

CaptainChunk · 114

Offline CaptainChunk

on: March 15, 2024, 06:36:00 AM
Hello,

I'm hoping to get some help troubleshooting my Quickie 1.0. I don't have a lot of experience with soldering, but I tried to follow the directions.

When I first start my Quickie, it does great if you don't touch it. If you bump it, the audio will have a reverb/echoy sound for a second or two. Even if you don't touch it, after about 10 minutes, loud pops will start happening independent of volume.

Any ideas?

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #1 on: March 15, 2024, 07:11:16 AM
If you bump it, the audio will have a reverb/echoy sound for a second or two.
That's not particularly abnormal, and can be mitigated by tube rolling or adding some mass on top of the chassis.

Even if you don't touch it, after about 10 minutes, loud pops will start happening independent of volume.

That would tend to suggest that there's a solder joint that isn't 100% in the amp.  I would just reflow them all, as often that's easier on a simple kit like the Quickie compared to trying to hunt down the individual offender.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline CaptainChunk

Reply #2 on: March 15, 2024, 07:18:57 AM
That's not particularly abnormal, and can be mitigated by tube rolling or adding some mass on top of the chassis.

That would tend to suggest that there's a solder joint that isn't 100% in the amp.  I would just reflow them all, as often that's easier on a simple kit like the Quickie compared to trying to hunt down the individual offender.

Thanks for the thoughts. I'll give the reflow a try.