Speedball large board voltages out of range [resolved]

VineSerf · 492

Offline VineSerf

on: December 08, 2019, 06:04:45 PM
After a number of weeks enjoying the stock Crack I installed the Speedball upgrade. The small board install went great, and I enjoyed a few hours of seriously enjoyable listening. Today I installed the large board, and have concerns about the voltage readings

OA - 173.2
OB - 110.8
G - 0.6
B+ - 111.8

Other than G all are out of range, with OA and OB being well more than 10% out. Should I be concerned? BTW, resistances were fine, both about 380 ohms. All LEDs light up.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2019, 01:11:59 PM by Paul Birkeland »

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #1 on: December 09, 2019, 04:17:16 AM
They are consistent and probably just fine.  I'm guessing the voltages on OA and OB on your small PC board are a little on the high side too.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline VineSerf

Reply #2 on: December 09, 2019, 06:35:08 AM
Many thanks Paul for the quick reply. I was hoping you'd say something along those lines!

The small board voltages were all much closer to spec: OA at 89, OB at 82, 1A at 160 and 1B at 161. Regardless, I'm warming up the tubes now and looking forward to enjoying my new & improved Crack.

On a more general note, in addition to selling some great products, the tech support here is simply outstanding. All very much appreciated.

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #3 on: December 09, 2019, 07:27:17 AM
I am also guessing that you have B+ and OA swapped.

IA and IB on the small board are wired to B+, as is B+ on the big board, so having 161V at one and 173V at another does suggest an issue. 

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline VineSerf

Reply #4 on: December 09, 2019, 12:44:38 PM
You nailed it: In the late hours after considerable difficulty dealing with the micro wires with aging, thick fingers, I'd crossed those two wires. Easy fix, all seems well now:

OA: 106
OB: 110.8
G: 0.2mV
B+: 175.

The change also resolved a notable unbalance between channels. With the wrong wiring the right channel was about 2x as loud as the left. All balanced now, and in fact the amp (with HD 650s) is sounding simply magnificent.

Thanks again for the great support.