Heathkit TC-2 Tube Tester/Checker

i luvmusic 2 · 2741

Offline i luvmusic 2

on: May 18, 2020, 03:50:33 AM
I'm thinking of purchasing this Tube Tester(Heathkit TC-2)The seller mentioned it need restoring not sure what he meant by that.Is this a reliable unit?Is it worth it to restore it?

Thanks.

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #1 on: May 18, 2020, 04:22:10 AM
It's an emission tester so it doesn't really tell you how the tube is performing as well as a mutual transconductance tester like a TV-7. Without knowing what "needs restoring" means and not knowing the asking price it is hard to say if it is worth it. Back in the 90s when one could pick up really pro testers for $150 and emission testers for $25 it was no big deal to have a few around.

But at current prices I don't think a tube tester is worth buying unless you buy and sell a lot of different tubes. If you have a couple of pieces of tube gear you can get a good idea of what shape the tubes it uses are in by measuring the voltages in the gear. And if you do buy and sell a lot of tubes it's best to be able to give a transconductance measurement with the tube. I've had a 707, TV-2, 539B, TV-10 D/U, a big old Mercury in-store emission tester and a few others over the years. I've also calibrated a Cardamatic (about 100 steps!). The only one I've kept (and which is used constantly) is the TV-10, which happens the be the first one I bought about 30 years ago.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline i luvmusic 2

Reply #2 on: May 18, 2020, 04:50:23 AM
Its $57USD or $80CAD,No i dont sell tubes I usually buy tubes for the CRACK and  S.E.X. According to the seller its already been rewired he just sent me some pictures it looks clean and neat,Thank You for your response.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2020, 04:54:06 AM by i luvmusic 2 »

Offline Tom-s

Reply #3 on: May 18, 2020, 05:03:40 AM
I'd go for it. See it as a fun hobby aspect. I've learned a lot from restoring old testers.
The TC-2 comes in many many different form factors. There's enough documentation on it online to wire it from scratch. As long as the transformer works, it's ok. The rest of the rebuild is part of the hobby!
It will tell you if your tubes have shorts, leaks and are generally good or bad. For testing tubes that you've found on flea markets and the like, it's perfect!

Offline i luvmusic 2

Reply #4 on: May 18, 2020, 05:26:34 AM
Exactly Bunch of tubes for sale round my area,I will pick it up on Wednesday Afternoon I think for $57USD it not that bad it's been rewired according to the seller but it won't hurt to rework it again.Thanks

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #5 on: May 18, 2020, 06:27:21 AM
For that price if it works, go for it.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline i luvmusic 2

Reply #6 on: May 29, 2020, 12:03:08 PM
Unfortunately the Seller didn't respond the Day I was supposed to pick up the unit so NO DEAL:(

Thank You all for your respondes.