Bad connections in IEC power entry module [resolved]

PocketRocket · 434

Offline PocketRocket

on: January 12, 2020, 12:34:40 PM
Hi there,
My crack has a buzz and I think I've located the source to be a shoddy connection in the entry module. I tried to replace the power cord but to no avail. Is there a replacement I can pick up and swap in?
« Last Edit: January 13, 2020, 04:40:33 AM by Paul Birkeland »

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #1 on: January 12, 2020, 12:47:40 PM
My crack has a buzz and I think I've located the source to be a shoddy connection in the entry module.
Can you tell us how you've come to that conclusion?

I tried to replace the power cord but to no avail. Is there a replacement I can pick up and swap in?
The power cord is a very standard IEC power cable. 

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline PocketRocket

Reply #2 on: January 12, 2020, 01:04:50 PM
The buzzing started after I bumped the power cord on my desk. I unplugged it and checked all resistances, then plugged it back in and checked all voltages, they were surprisingly reading what they should. If I adjust the position of the cord in socket the buzzing will stop.

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #3 on: January 12, 2020, 01:51:44 PM
It sounds like you might have a loose wire or poor solder joint around the IEC power entry module (or even elsewhere in the amp that's getting moved when the power cord is moved).

I have never seen a bad IEC power entry module short of one being very badly melted.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline PocketRocket

Reply #4 on: January 12, 2020, 08:22:15 PM
Thank you. I lightly wiggled one of the connections to the entry module and it was bad despite looking fine. I feel silly but I appreciate the help!