Volume potentiometer only affecting one channel [resolved]

Labyrinth52 · 1296

Offline Labyrinth52

Reply #15 on: January 10, 2020, 06:22:20 PM
Did as you said, stripped of solder, pushed through more, crimped the end on A4. Still got nothing lighting up. I'll try and fiddle with this connection more tomorrow.

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #16 on: January 10, 2020, 06:38:56 PM
Also double check that one half of the 12AU7 isn't lighting still.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline Labyrinth52

Reply #17 on: January 11, 2020, 01:18:56 PM
I've continued messing with the connection today, even so far as removing the connection entirely and redoing it. Still missing those 3 LED's and only half the input tube.

I still find it very odd that the left channel dropped while I was listening to it.

I have a friend who has access to some diagnostic equipment who is going to help me troubleshoot on monday. But I don't think I could do any better on the connection than it is now. I've ordered some tubes to roll in as well. So I don't know where to proceed from here.

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #18 on: January 11, 2020, 01:34:53 PM
You could try a different 12AU7 just to rule that out. 

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Offline adydula

Reply #19 on: January 12, 2020, 03:37:47 AM
I have had a channel dropout with a loud popping sound and it was due to the leds having a mechanical break from removing tubes and inserting new ones.

I replaced all of them and made sure they were  strain relieved them so the wiggling that occurs when taking out tubes doesn't pull or move these leds leading to this issue.

Had this happen twice before I figured out my issue...been solid for several years...and being careful about removing tubes .

Alex

Offline Labyrinth52

Reply #20 on: January 21, 2020, 12:51:21 PM
So a quick update, it was the tube. Replaced it with a Tung-Sol 12AU7W and both sides sprung to light.

I had mentioned that I had a friend come over to help me diagnose. Turns out one of the LED's essentially wasn't allowing current through it (if I remember correctly), and I had messed up the volume potentiometer trying to wick off excess solder to redo the connections. So I have replaced the broken LED and have an Alps RK27 Velvet pot on the way to replace the one I butchered.

Essentially had three issues wrapped into one giant mess. But seems to be on the up and up.

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #21 on: January 21, 2020, 12:57:46 PM
I'm glad you got it sorted!

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Offline adydula

Reply #22 on: January 21, 2020, 02:36:00 PM
Great News!!

Another one of those LEDS! Be careful in the future if you start swapping out tubes..you could break another one if not strain reliefed etc..

Enjoy!

Alex