Anyone tried the new Audio Note (UK) 300B made by Psvane?

Guest · 1922

Deke609

New kid on the block: https://audionote.shop/valves/rohren/power-tubes-triodes-audionote-audio-note-4300e-300b

PartsConnexion also sells them.  Note the sales boast that they are "the finest sounding current production 300B valves available today".

I've only found one review and in the reviewer's opinion the AN 300B sounds better than the Takatsuki and is comparable to vintage WE 300Bs: https://www.dagogo.com/audio-note-uk-4300e-output-tube/

There was a recent thread on this forum discussing the WE reissue. If that project is still delayed, the new AN tube may be an attractive alternative.  Although quite spendy at 800 BP ($1080 USD from PC), thsy are cheaper than both the WE reissue and the Takatsuki's.

One thing that concerns me is the new tubes only come with a 3 month warranty (from shipment date). For comparison, the Takatsuki warranty is 1 year, and EMLs come with minimum 1 year that can extended to 5 years with registration.

If anyone finds out more information about the new AN tubes, or better yet actually hears them, please post details here.

cheers, Derek

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #1 on: January 20, 2020, 05:41:42 AM
The warranty is a bit of a head scratcher.  Here is a 300B from the same manufacturer with the same glass envelope, the same label plate on the inside of the tube (it says PSVANE instead of Audio Note), at roughly the same price.  Somehow these come with a 1 year warranty though...

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Deke609

Reply #2 on: January 20, 2020, 06:38:25 AM
Thanks for that, PB. I wasn't aware of the Psvane Acme series.

The AN version is stated to have molybdenum filaments anodes. I know next to nothing about metallurgy, but maybe that factors into the warranty period? 

Anyone have any insight (actual or theoretical) on what might be the SQ benefits, if any, of using molybdenum filaments anodes?

cheers, Derek

[edit: correction - it's the anode that is made of molybdenum, not the filament]
« Last Edit: January 20, 2020, 06:53:22 AM by Deke609 »

Offline EricS

• My DIY Home Theater
Reply #3 on: January 27, 2020, 10:24:21 AM
<sigh> So few manufacturers, so many brands available for sale...

This seems to happen no matter what domain you play in.  Transparency is always a great thing for the consumer.

Eric

Haven't electrocuted myself yet...   
There are ALWAYS User Serviceable Parts Inside!