Ordering a first time kit -the Stereomour II. Couple of questions.

vvcv · 2011

Offline abaloghtesla

Reply #15 on: February 11, 2020, 02:31:02 AM
do I need to purchase a pre-amp for this kit to use after a phono

Offline Jay

Reply #16 on: February 11, 2020, 03:21:29 AM
what works for me is turntable -> Eros phono preamp -> StereomourII.  Sounds really nice too.

Jay L.

Offline oguinn

Reply #17 on: February 11, 2020, 03:41:56 AM
If you don’t have a phono preamp you do need one between the turntable and the Stereomour. Some turntables have phono preamps built in, though. You don’t need a regular preamp (like the BeePre) since the Stereomour has volume control.

Jameson O'Guinn

-

Main System: Schiit Bifrost MB, Rega Planar 6 with Exact cartridge, Eros 2, BeePre, Kaiju/Stereomour II, Jagers, Mainline

Desktop System: Crack with Speedball

Offline Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #18 on: February 11, 2020, 04:01:51 AM
The terminology is confusing, so bear with me here ...

In modern usage, there are two different products called preamps:

One provides multiple inputs, a selector switch, and volume controls. It operates at the same signal level - around one volt - as a normal power amp input. Usually it has a modest gain, perhaps a factor of 4 at the highest setting. Stereomour includes these functions, so for use with CD players, DACs, radio tuners, and the like no separate preamp is needed.

The other is usually called a phono preamp. It provides enough gain to boost the cartridge output to around a volt - that's usually a gain factor of a few hundred. It also corrects for the frequency response equalization applied to phonograph recordings. You do need one of these to play records.

In the old days before CDs, almost all preamps included a phono preamp function, but in modern times it is rarely included.

Paul Joppa