Eros and Seduction tube noise

sl-15 · 658

Offline sl-15

on: January 15, 2020, 01:57:06 PM
I recently compared my Eros to my old Seduction and was using Electro Harmonix 6922 tubes that I just acquired. One of the tubes has a lot of tube rush noise in the Seduction but not at all in the Eros. After using it in the Eros for a few weeks it has gotten better in the Seduction but is still noisy. Does somebody know why it is noisy in the Seduction but not in the Eros? Thanks.

Stefan Hampel
Soundsmith Carmen, modded Technics SL-1200mkII, Thorens TD 125 mk2 with SME V, Eros, Extended Foreplay III, BeePre2, Crack, Pioneer Spec 4, Sonus Faber Electa

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #1 on: January 15, 2020, 01:59:42 PM
The first stage in the Eros is an EF86 for both channels, and this is where tube rush will be really critical. Once the signal has been amplified by the EF86, it is again amplified by the 6922.  In the Seduction/Reduction, half of each 6922 is the first gain stage, and the noisy half of that particular tube may just happen to be the first gain stage in the circuit. 

We have found that noises like that will subside with 100 or so hours of use.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline sl-15

Reply #2 on: January 16, 2020, 10:54:27 AM
Thanks Paul, that makes perfect sense.

Stefan Hampel
Soundsmith Carmen, modded Technics SL-1200mkII, Thorens TD 125 mk2 with SME V, Eros, Extended Foreplay III, BeePre2, Crack, Pioneer Spec 4, Sonus Faber Electa