Using tube gear in an enclosed porch

oguinn · 481

Offline oguinn

on: February 06, 2020, 03:20:14 PM
We’re moving soon to a new house with an enclosed porch. I was thinking it’d be cool to throw either the SEX or Stereomour out there with a set of speakers and have a nice little system for when we sit out there. However, it’s not heated or cooled typically. It’s plenty dry but not insulated. Are there going to be any issues like the LEDs going bad that I need to consider?

Jameson O'Guinn

-

Main System: Schiit Bifrost MB, Rega Planar 6 with Exact cartridge, Eros 2, BeePre, Kaiju/Stereomour II, Jagers, Mainline

Desktop System: Crack with Speedball

Offline 2wo

• Test
Reply #1 on: February 06, 2020, 04:57:55 PM
As with most anything it's best to avoid extremes of heat and cold but an inclosed porch would probably be fine. In reality harsh weather you can always bring it in, you won't be sitting out there anyway.  The fact that it is dry is good.

As to the LED's. don't worry, the issue with them is that after they are made they slowly absorb a little moisture from the air over time, Then you apply a 600 or 700 degree soldiering iron that moisture can crack the plastic. So unless they see that kind of heat again, they will be fine...John

John Scanlon

Offline oguinn

Reply #2 on: February 06, 2020, 05:15:01 PM
Ah ok, thanks. I wasn’t aware of why the LEDs failed after time and moisture. Thanks!

Jameson O'Guinn

-

Main System: Schiit Bifrost MB, Rega Planar 6 with Exact cartridge, Eros 2, BeePre, Kaiju/Stereomour II, Jagers, Mainline

Desktop System: Crack with Speedball

Offline Malki

Reply #3 on: February 17, 2020, 01:09:55 AM
Are there no worries of destroying the LED's in the process, John?

Offline 2wo

• Test
Reply #4 on: February 17, 2020, 05:40:05 PM
Not quite sure what you're asking. If you mean you want to resolder an LED that has been in a circuit for years than yes the possibility exists but not something to worry about.

John Scanlon