Has Crack changed since 12/17/2013?

Todd R · 566

Offline Todd R

on: February 29, 2020, 03:02:05 AM
I'm planning on getting another Crack when the sale starts and I want to purchase my upgrade parts ahead of time. Has this kit changed since 2013?
I still have my manual from a previous build and wanted to make sure the part values were the same before I ordered any.

Also, what gauges of wire are used?
Thanks
« Last Edit: February 29, 2020, 03:03:59 AM by Todd R »

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #1 on: February 29, 2020, 06:19:25 AM
Yes, the kit was revised since 2013.  The part values did not change.

The heater wiring is 18 AWG and the rest of the circuit uses 20 AWG.  It is critical that this wire is solid core (not stranded) if you go to buy something else.  Additionally wire with foamed teflon insulation is not recommended due to its intolerance for twisting.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline Todd R

Reply #2 on: February 29, 2020, 08:37:30 AM
Thanks Paul.
Apart from accidentally getting a loose strand in the wrong place, what's wrong with using stranded wire?

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #3 on: February 29, 2020, 08:42:12 AM
Thanks Paul.
Apart from accidentally getting a loose strand in the wrong place, what's wrong with using stranded wire?
Stranded wire is made for applications where the wire will move a lot and needs to not break because of that.  Wires in the Crack chassis do not move once you finish the build. 

Stranded wire doesn't stay where you put it.  You'll have a really, really hard time making your build look halfway decent when all the wires you install move around all over the place on you. 

Yes, the strands will poke around and go places that they shouldn't.  This should be enough of a reason not to even consider using it.  Lots of people just say that they will tin the ends, but once you do that it's really hard to crimp that around a tube socket lug or a terminal strip. 

It's really way more trouble than it's worth, especially considering that there are plenty of solid core wire options out there.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man