voltage check was about same as original check [resolved]

Dynakitbuilder · 1921

Offline Dynakitbuilder

The static in the R channel has increased to just about all the time set is on.  Can hear the static with both phones and speakers. L channel crystal clear.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2020, 05:53:47 AM by Paul Birkeland »

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #1 on: March 02, 2020, 11:01:42 AM
If you knock on the chassis plate with your hand with some reasonable force, does that change the nature of the static?  Have you reflowed all of your solder joints?

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline Dynakitbuilder

Reply #2 on: March 03, 2020, 06:54:40 AM
No effect with tapping on chassis.  Reflowed all solder joints.  Went back and reconfirmed all resistance checks - still the same readings.  Set up to do voltage checks; when I plugged in the amp, checked tubes glow; then the inside 680 ohm, 3w (blue, grey, brown, gold, pg 42 in manual)resistor started to smoke and turn red.  Unplugged set real quickly and started to call the fire department (not really); then after my blood pressure returned to somewhere near normal wrote this.  Assume the resistor is cooked, but don't understand why it went bad.  Did I overheat it during reflow?

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #3 on: March 03, 2020, 06:56:13 AM
That resistor will go bad because something is drawing excessive current.  You would want to start with a resistance check and posting any resistances that are off.  Also posting some build photos could be helpful too. 

If you soldered the joints on that resistor for 30-60 minutes, then maybe you could do some damage.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Offline Dynakitbuilder

Reply #4 on: March 03, 2020, 09:55:48 AM
Thanks once again for the help and support.  Even with all this bit of hassle the whole experience had been a blast and convinced me to do other kits in the future.  I will post the resistances and photos. 

Offline Dynakitbuilder

Reply #5 on: March 06, 2020, 10:50:30 AM
Resistance check within stated limits.
Having trouble sending photos.  Using png files but they don't load.

Deke609

Reply #6 on: March 06, 2020, 12:11:37 PM
The files might be too large, data-wise. Try resizing them. If you use Windows, the default pic viewer gives you the option to resize to something suitable for email - I think it's max 2MB. That's fixed the problem of pics not uploading for me.

Offline Dynakitbuilder

Reply #7 on: March 08, 2020, 07:07:54 AM
here's some photos: please let me know quality and quantity.  Trying to downsize photos to load better.

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #8 on: March 08, 2020, 08:04:50 AM
How about a top done shot that looks more like the one at the end of the manual?  (In a well lit room)

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Offline Dynakitbuilder

Reply #9 on: March 08, 2020, 08:32:33 AM
some with , some without flash

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #10 on: March 08, 2020, 08:39:04 AM
I would go ahead and do a voltage check on just that side of the amp.  That 680 ohm resistor is getting hot, but it's not smoking, so try to limit the amplifier on time to about 90 seconds. Once you perform those voltage checks, pull the 6FJ7 on that side of the amp and power it back up, then report the voltage on terminal 13.

It's still really hard to see much in those photos.  These photos are about 1/3 of a megapixel (a current cell phone is 48). 

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Offline Dynakitbuilder

Reply #11 on: March 08, 2020, 08:48:31 AM
I stopped buying "current" cell phones about 4 years ago.  74 years old.  Might not get my money's worth out of a new one.  I may be able to borrow a current phone from some neighbor that's not quite a luddite like me.  Will try.

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #12 on: March 08, 2020, 08:56:55 AM
A digital camera made after the year 2000 should be capable of a few MP as well.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Offline Dynakitbuilder

Reply #13 on: March 08, 2020, 09:20:12 AM
Not up to checking smoking circuits today.  You should go and enjoy a Sunday, too.  Will try tomorrow when I am less frustrated.

Offline Dynakitbuilder

Reply #14 on: March 09, 2020, 05:12:14 AM
Any Better?