VA wattage general questions for power supply, filtering, regenerating

kip.duff · 503

Offline kip.duff

All my systems over the years have been connected to any wall socket and have used regular power cords.  Last 10 years, I have been using a 500W isolation transformer.  I am now able to devote resources to improving my hifi on several fronts.  One area to look at is power supply.  I am strongly considering getting a PS Audio Stellar Power Plant 3.  This is $2199 list and has 300W of regenerated power with 6 outlets (US version).  Two of those 6 outlets can be switched from regenerated to higher watt filtered power like in cases where your power amps need a lot of watts.  I guess that leaves 300W of regenerated AC for the remaining 4 outlets(?).  There also is a liberal trade-up program that lowers that price significantly.  They claim to have impedance of < 0.008 Ohms- and that this is a good thing, and 50 times less than wall socket AC.  The next model up is the DirectStream Power Plant 12 (1250VA) @ $5K- pretty big gap.

So my main question is about my system's power consumption and whether 300VA is enough.  I'm pretty sure 300VA will be adequate, but wanted to get info from people who know more than me (there are more than a few of those I believe).  Already saw some info in threads.

*Paramount 1.1's : 85VA each = 170VA total
*BeePre: ???VA
*Eros 2: ???VA

As far as turntables go, I will be running Linn LP-12 and Garrard 301. I have just started a Garrard 301 project.  It will have a rebuilt 12" Ortofon AS-212 arm and maybe an SPU cart- but that's a whole different area.  Mentioned it because I'm thinking it might consume a lot of power.  My amateur guess is that regenerated AC might be a good thing for the Garrard.  I've heard mixed reviews on the various dedicated power supplies for Garrards.  I may be getting a ClearAudio DC Performance or Feickert Woodpecker.  Am selling the VPI Classic 3 Signature/ADS outfit if anyone interested.

I've heard mostly positive reviews of the PS Audio regenerating type power supplies- especially the later models.  I'm interested in any experiences, opinions, or advice- negative or positive.

Thanks, Kip......

Dr. Feickert Blackbird II w Reed 2A tonearm and Lyra Skala cartridge.  Eros 2.  Audio Note DAC 2.1 Signature.  BeePre with BeeQuiet and Paramount 1.1 monoblocs into A7 VOTTs or Nagoaka folded horns.

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
The BeePre should be under 100VA, and the Eros significantly lower.  If your meter has an AC current setting, you can pop the fuse out of each component and use your leads to measure the AC current the unit draws by placing your probes where the fuse was (your meter will have a fuse in the current measuring position, so you're still fused).  Current at startup will be higher than operating current, so plan to power up the Eros and BeePre first, then wait 10 or so seconds before powering up the Paramounts.

A Garrard 301 uses very little power and an LP-12 uses even less. 20VA would be a conservative estimate.

You're close enough to the 300 limit to do some measurements on your gear to get exact numbers. 

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man