Other Gear > Digital

DAC Recommendations 2020

<< < (2/2)

jjvornov:

--- Quote from: DesignTaylor on March 16, 2020, 06:26:53 AM ---Thanks for the notes guys. I do like the Schiit gear. As mentioned before, I think the AK4490 driven DAC card in my Jotunheim sounds pretty great, I wish they would just put that card inside a Bifrost as I like having balanced but not sure if I need multibit. I am curious about multibit as I've seen both compelling and less than glowing reviews.

I'd be kind of interested in Bluetooth as well (for convenience) since I would be giving up the streamer. Some of the newer DACs seem to support BT 5 which is supposed to be able to drive Hi Res audio. Has anyone explored BT recently? In the past, the compression was super bad but wondering if progress has been made. Take for example the Topping D70 BT...?

--- End quote ---

I love the Bifrost 2. I just have a USB to lightning adaptor and plug my phone right into the DAC. All of the hires apps now push full resolution out of the lightning port. Much simpler than all the BT and streaming.

Adrian:
I have just completed a build of an AMB Labs Gamma2 DAC.
In comparison to my Schiit Modi 2, this DAC is many steps above the Modi 2.
Not only does it have much more functionality, it sounds clean, more accurate, and natural.
The ability to choose from three digital filters is a plus.
I find the minimum phase, slow rolloff  filter, which eliminates all pre-ringing, makes the sound natural and non-fatiguing.

This was an enjoyable project and anyone looking for a DIY DAC and not afraid of SMDs should give it a look.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version