Y-Splitter

Guest · 783

RamenFlamen

on: March 26, 2020, 08:51:38 AM
Hello, my Crack kit is in shipping, but before it comes I thought I'd ask about using a RCA Y-splitter to the Crack. I have the JDS Atom as my other amp, and it has two inputs. I was wondering if it would be ok to send my DAC's signal (100 Ohm output impedance) to the Crack and Atom's RCA inputs at the same time, even if they have very different input impedances (100K vs. 10K Ohms, which combined in a parallel circuit makes 9.09K Ohms), and then connect the Crack's output to the Atom's other 3.5mm input? I ask because I want to send the Atom's RCA out to an estat energizer and switch between tube and solid state easier. Thanks.

Offline jtori

Reply #1 on: March 26, 2020, 08:59:28 AM
Until I built a high-quality custom switch box, I used one of these:https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/718845-REG/Sescom_SES_AUDIO_AB_SES_AUDIO_AB_RCA_Stereo_Audio.html/?ap=y&ap=y&smp=y&smp=y&lsft=BI%3A514&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI25rD-ui46AIVhZ-zCh2krA8REAQYAyABEgKDj_D_BwE

It did a fine job and, to my ears, was transparent.

Best,

Joe.

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #2 on: March 26, 2020, 09:11:25 AM
I was wondering if it would be ok to send my DAC's signal (100 Ohm output impedance) to the Crack and Atom's RCA inputs at the same time, even if they have very different input impedances (100K vs. 10K Ohms, which combined in a parallel circuit makes 9.09K Ohms)
That's not a problem.

and then connect the Crack's output to the Atom's other 3.5mm input? I ask because I want to send the Atom's RCA out to an estat energizer and switch between tube and solid state easier.
What purpose does the Crack serve if its hooked up like this?

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

RamenFlamen

Reply #3 on: March 26, 2020, 09:34:00 AM
What purpose does the Crack serve if its hooked up like this?

When I do want to use my estats, I can switch between tube and ss sound, and it's easy to just unplug the 6.3mm connector from the Crack when I want to use my other headphones. It's just an easy way to switch between all my equipment without messing with cables in the back. I think Doc said in another thread that the Crack can serve as a decent preamp?

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #4 on: March 26, 2020, 09:54:13 AM
Yes, the Crack can serve as a preamp.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man