Any mods (non-electronic) you have done?

canonken · 1774

Offline canonken

on: January 17, 2021, 07:28:37 AM
Hi,

Have my order in, and before I build, curious what sort of mods people have done to this that are not electronic.  For example:
--Isolation feet
--Enhanced assembly of the wood base (to make it stronger)
--Attaching the plate to the wood base
--Anything else you did just because you wanted to!

Thanks!

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #1 on: January 17, 2021, 07:31:58 AM
Isolation feet wouldn't be such a bad idea, just be sure your turntable is also well isolated, as there are stronger mechanisms at work in a turntable to pick up and amplify vibrations. 

I can stand on a well glued wood base and it won't break, so I'm not sure there's a need to make it much stronger.  You could add some small blocks in the corners to increase gluing surface.  If you use corner blocks, you can add some holes in the corners of the top plate and screw it down into the corner blocks to attach them. 

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline oguinn

Reply #2 on: January 17, 2021, 08:22:46 AM
I made some custom tags with brass plates and acid.

https://forum.bottlehead.com/index.php?topic=11631.0

Jameson O'Guinn

-

Main System: Schiit Bifrost MB, Rega Planar 6 with Exact cartridge, Eros 2, BeePre, Kaiju/Stereomour II, Jagers, Mainline

Desktop System: Crack with Speedball

Offline Karl5150

Reply #3 on: January 17, 2021, 01:27:32 PM
In an early incarnation I added a pair of switches and a second pair of RCA outs. I had separate HP and speaker amps and I hate unplugging and re-plugging cables. 
Oh wait, was that electronic because there is signal flowing through those wires, or just mechanical? I digress...it was a tight fit, but it wasn't difficult.
Karl

Karl
Downstairs: Planar3>PH-16>Stereomour II>OB Betsy+
Upstairs: RP1>Eros/CD5004>Seductor (2x Monoblocks)>FH3
Office: Modi Uber 2/Sirius>SEX2.1.1>µFonken FF85WK + DC160 subs
BR: FiiO M6>SEX3.0.1>ScanSpeak 10F + TangBand W6 (Mono)/DT770Pro
Garage: X12 streamer>Quicksand>Minimus 77

Offline canonken

Reply #4 on: January 26, 2021, 02:37:19 PM
Thanks!

I was trying to think of how to secure the plate to the wood, and the corner blocks would work.  I was also thinking about some tiny L-brackets (one side screwed into the inside of the case, then a nut and bolt thru the chassis to hold it down).

At this point, I'm just going to build it as-is and can worry about those things later.