Strange problem with rotary switch stop washers

Aural Robert · 972

Offline Aural Robert

on: April 18, 2020, 04:48:15 AM
The two rotary switches for the volume controls have little stop washers to set the stops. For some reason, mine doesn't sit flat on the body, which causes the switch to mount cock-eyed to the sub-panel.

I know this because I built it and when I put the knobs on, they weren't centred on the numbered dial on the overlay. Subsequent disassembly and investigation has brought me back to the Mother Ship for advice and recommendations.

I've attached a photo showing the issue. I do have a mechanical aptitude and this is not my first build. I can't figure out wtf is going on here, the little tab seems to be too long.

I guess I can file it down (or use a dremel) but thought I'd post here first to make sure I'm not just missing something or messing up somehow.

TIA. Stay safe.

Aural Robert
... only an expert can deal with the problem ...

Origin Live Calypso TT w String Theory arm & Shure V15VxMR, Eros or BH DAC -> BeePre -> MonAmor 2A3s w JJ's => Blumestein Bamboo Tritons on Blumenstein Bamboo stands, AND Enhanced SEX w Sexy spkrs and subs in the WAF zone. DIY Belden 89259 w Eichmann interconnects throughout

Offline Thermioniclife

Reply #1 on: April 18, 2020, 05:23:56 AM
Hello, I think you should have 2 stop washers with this switch.
One will have a shorter tab, place this one on shaft first in the correct position then the longer one on top and also in the correct position. this will set the switch up for the correct amount of positions and orientation on the trim bezel.
Hope this is of help.

Lee R.

Offline Aural Robert

Reply #2 on: April 18, 2020, 05:45:03 AM
Yes there are two washers, with different diameters. This is the smaller one that has to go underneath the larger one, and this is the one with the shorter tab as suggested. I only had the smaller one on when I took the photo.

Thanks.

Origin Live Calypso TT w String Theory arm & Shure V15VxMR, Eros or BH DAC -> BeePre -> MonAmor 2A3s w JJ's => Blumestein Bamboo Tritons on Blumenstein Bamboo stands, AND Enhanced SEX w Sexy spkrs and subs in the WAF zone. DIY Belden 89259 w Eichmann interconnects throughout

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #3 on: April 18, 2020, 05:51:10 AM
Are you having the same issue with both switches?

Could you take a photo of your switch similar to the one in the manual with all the parts laid out?

-PB

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline Aural Robert

Reply #4 on: April 18, 2020, 09:45:53 AM
 Yep, exactly the same problem with both switches. Photos attached.

Thanks Paul.

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #5 on: April 18, 2020, 09:49:18 AM
I will contact Electro-switch and ask them what's going on with the hardware.

Since you are likely very interested in continuing with your build, I would get a small straight file and file down the shoulder a little bit so more of the pokey bit goes into the hole in the switch body. 

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Offline Aural Robert

Reply #6 on: April 27, 2020, 01:45:46 PM
Thanks Paul, things went well and the build is finished. It sounds AMAZING I have HD 600's and it's time to start saving for the 800's I think.

I've posted a few pics of the new amp and it's current location to optimize it's use. Next up is my Raspberry Pi streamer.

Stay safe all you Bottleheads!@@

Aural Robert
... 'Cause life is sweet, when you hit the mainline ...

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #7 on: April 27, 2020, 01:48:05 PM
The first super ancient prototype that I built of the Mainline circuit was purple on a white base :)

The white base is long gone, but the purple top plate and white transformer cover live on!

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Offline Karl5150

Reply #8 on: April 28, 2020, 02:18:49 AM
That is sharp. I've never thought of painting the lam stack, very nice. Was it difficult to prep it enough to paint?
Karl

Karl
Downstairs: Planar3>PH-16>Stereomour II>OB Betsy+
Upstairs: RP1>Eros/CD5004>Seductor (2x Monoblocks)>FH3
Office: Modi Uber 2/Sirius>SEX2.1.1>µFonken FF85WK + DC160 subs
BR: FiiO M6>SEX3.0.1>ScanSpeak 10F + TangBand W6 (Mono)/DT770Pro
Garage: X12 streamer>Quicksand>Minimus 77

Online oguinn

Reply #9 on: April 28, 2020, 03:05:24 AM
That looks really nice. Any interest in contributing some photos to my gallery site?

Jameson O'Guinn

-

Main System: Schiit Bifrost MB, Rega Planar 6 with Exact cartridge, Eros 2, BeePre, Kaiju/Stereomour II, Jagers, Mainline

Desktop System: Crack with Speedball

Offline Aural Robert

Reply #10 on: April 29, 2020, 03:05:57 AM
Karl - it was mainly elbow grease. I started by sanding the edges with emery cloth, then multiple coats of primer and sanding to get the surface flush and the laminate lines to disappear. And then a few coats of the final colour. I've done this on all my Bottlehead gear.

I generally take longer to prep and paint than I do with my actual build. I'm too picky when it comes to having a perfect finish.

Offline Aural Robert

Reply #11 on: April 29, 2020, 03:09:30 AM
Jameson, I will happily contribute. Any specifics as to image size and quality, # of photos etc? Let me know and I'll set up some shots. I have an EOS 60D so have a lot of options available.

Online oguinn

Reply #12 on: April 29, 2020, 04:09:28 AM
A couple things are helpful: a handful of good sized images stored on Imgur or another storage service, and a write up with any customization or details you’d like to share.

Also, PB - I got your submission and will post this week. Thank you!

Jameson O'Guinn

-

Main System: Schiit Bifrost MB, Rega Planar 6 with Exact cartridge, Eros 2, BeePre, Kaiju/Stereomour II, Jagers, Mainline

Desktop System: Crack with Speedball