Eros 2 gain

Clive · 508

Offline Clive

on: April 30, 2020, 12:29:30 AM
How is the 50db of gain of Eros working in practice into active preamps?  I use a London Reference cartridge with a very healthy 5mV output - I suspect it could be a little higher in reality.  With 50db of gain with 5mV I'd be up at 1.5V, with 6mV it's 1.9V.  This should be ok for most preamps though it's the overload from clicks etc which might upset a few or am I worrying about a non-existent issue?

Offline Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #1 on: April 30, 2020, 04:07:52 AM
One of the virtues of tube phono preamps is their substantial output voltage capability. I don't offhand recall the actual number but Eros (and Reduction) should be capable of more than 15v output.

The volume control on the line-level preamp will reduce the signal before it gets to the input tube, so it won't overload the preamp.

Paul Joppa

Offline Clive

Reply #2 on: April 30, 2020, 05:42:58 AM
Thanks for your reply Paul.  I suppose my question is more for the manufacturer of my streamer/preamp which my phono stages feed.  The preamp section uses a MUSES 72320 for the volume control, such solidstate devices I think can overload, also there may be an input buffer...I really don't know.  With 50db of gain using a 5mV to 6mV cartridge is similar to CD level so it should be ok, it's overload due to noise which concerns me a little, as I say I should check with the preamp manufacturer.

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #3 on: April 30, 2020, 05:59:59 AM
Muses 72320 specifies maximum input at 10V RMS. I wouldn't worry about overloading it.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline Clive

Reply #4 on: April 30, 2020, 06:03:29 AM
Excellent, thanks!