Start your own headphone company

Doc B. · 579

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
on: April 22, 2020, 03:48:53 PM
Maybe you can do better at it than the guys who are liquidating their assets. Some interesting stuff here -

https://www.murphyauction.com/Auction/Details/8237?fbclid=IwAR2Q9NmGUu6gx4y9othVCICUvvEKGZ4hrqICII6-eKVAs7Fh4KeLE1FH5K4

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline grufti

Reply #1 on: April 22, 2020, 05:29:23 PM
Doc, do you know where the items in this auction come from?

Offline oguinn

Reply #2 on: April 23, 2020, 03:54:00 AM
I think it was a headphone company called Human.

It’s a good thing I’m not in Seattle. I’d be buying an iMac and a bunch of other stuff I don’t need.

Jameson O'Guinn

-

Main System: Schiit Bifrost MB, Rega Planar 6 with Exact cartridge, Eros 2, BeePre, Kaiju/Stereomour II, Jagers, Mainline

Desktop System: Crack with Speedball

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #3 on: April 23, 2020, 05:45:44 AM
Yeah it's stated right there in the listing, Human Inc. They were attempting to make over ear wireless headphones with no headband. You can read some commentary on their social media pages. Low battery life, the tonal balance was getting criticized, no refunds. The site is still up, but it appears they have been out of stock and out of business for a while and this is a liquidation of assets.  Sounds like a case of releasing a product that wasn't quite ready because they needed to get cash flow going. This is not an easy business to survive in.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #4 on: April 23, 2020, 06:17:10 AM
That's an insane amount of equipment for a startup company!

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #5 on: April 23, 2020, 09:39:20 AM
Yeah, it seems to be the model that a lot of startups use these days. These guys got 21 million in funding in 2018! How do you piss that all away in a year or two? I would consider one of the co-founder's titles being "Chief Visionary Officer" a red flag...

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/human-incorporated-raises-21-million-in-series-b-funding-300722468.html

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.