Dac kit recommendations

Thermioniclife · 1170

Offline Thermioniclife

on: May 03, 2020, 04:50:23 PM
Hey,
So being isolated and getting bored in general I think I would like to build a Dac kit. I have an old Fiio unit that the internal battery is shot and have been thinking that a kit would keep me occupied for a while.
Does anybody have any suggestions for a decent Dac kit preferably with a tube buffer.
I will tell you that I did an extensive 12 minute google search and came up with disappointment.
Thanks.

Lee R.

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #1 on: May 03, 2020, 04:57:32 PM
The big issue you're going to find with DAC kits is that the parts needed to construct a DAC these days tend to be surface mount, and assembly is pretty difficult.  So you'd need to look for a kit built with really old parts, which you probably don't want, or a kit where the surface mount stuff is already installed.  That alone is a pretty tough request, and when you throw the tube output stage in the mix, there just isn't going to be anything left!

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline Thermioniclife

Reply #2 on: May 03, 2020, 05:25:48 PM
Hey PB
Roger that. I have a little experience with smd's but not much but replacing a few resistors and caps to modify a circuit board to meet the spec's we required. it's amazing what you can accomplish with a wooden swab handle and a piece of gum on the end to position a component.
Thanks for the reply  Be well.
Btw if u guys have an extra Mainline kit that is available let me know.
Peace out.

Lee R.

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #3 on: May 03, 2020, 06:42:51 PM
You could e-mail queen(at)bottlehead(dot)com to ask what the lead time looks like on a Mainline. 

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #4 on: May 04, 2020, 09:09:32 AM
I'm stuck at home (tore a ligament in my leg yesterday, stuck on crutches for a bit) and the parts are at the shop so I can't be 100% positive. But I'm fairly sure we the parts in stock to kit up a Mainline. We're also fairly caught up on orders after cranking on them for the past month. So one would be looking at the shorter side of our typical shipping time.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline Thermioniclife

Reply #5 on: May 04, 2020, 10:38:39 AM
Thanks Doc, sorry to hear about your troubles, I recommend a bottle of wine as therapy. I think I'll go ahead and place an order.
Stay safe.
Regards,
Lee

Lee R.

Offline jtori

Reply #6 on: May 04, 2020, 11:35:21 AM
Ouch, Doc!  I think @Thermioniclife is on the right track but would recommend a higher dosage:  Any of several single malts will work.  Side effects, however, include audible system improvement.

Best for a speedy recovery,

Joe.

Offline Thermioniclife

Reply #7 on: May 04, 2020, 12:11:47 PM
Hi jtori, I am a Jameson man myself, single malt stuff while probably having very powerful healing effects is somewhat unpalatable to me. I'm perfectly happy with blended Irish whiskey. But everything in life is subjective. It's what makes you happy that counts.
Be and stay well.  ;)

Lee R.

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #8 on: May 04, 2020, 02:08:53 PM
Queenie and I have been dry for 6 years. So it's Advil and ice packs for me. Luckily it doesn't hurt as long as I stay off of it. Thanks so much for your order!

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline Thermioniclife

Reply #9 on: May 04, 2020, 05:14:31 PM
My pleasure Doc, stay dry, comfortable and safe.
Perhaps I have made a diagnosis that is not conducive to the facts that you just disclosed.
and I must admit that I am not a Doctor. Having said that I was a Submarine surgeon.
Thanks.
Lee

Lee R.

Offline Karl5150

Reply #10 on: May 05, 2020, 04:20:17 AM
Doc,
a crutch swung in an arc should provide for reasonable social distancing.
Do take care, wishing you a swift recovery.
Karl

Karl
Downstairs: Planar3>PH-16>Stereomour II>OB Betsy+
Upstairs: RP1>Eros/CD5004>Seductor (2x Monoblocks)>FH3
Office: Modi Uber 2/Sirius>SEX2.1.1>µFonken FF85WK + DC160 subs
BR: FiiO M6>SEX3.0.1>ScanSpeak 10F + TangBand W6 (Mono)/DT770Pro
Garage: X12 streamer>Quicksand>Minimus 77

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #11 on: May 05, 2020, 05:26:17 AM
Doc,
a crutch swung in an arc should provide for reasonable social distancing.

Hah! And maybe a broken lamp or two. Eileen was mad at me for closing the bedroom door with a crutch whilst lying in bed instead of asking her to do it. Last night I was turning off Stereomour switches in the home theater with it. She was not happy.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline WK3K

• Beginning to see the light...
Reply #12 on: May 23, 2020, 06:39:46 PM
@docB, hope you mend quickly!!

On the DAC end of things, I made one frustrated attempt at a grubdac (http://beezar.com/pho-bzr/catalog/index.php?cPath=44_40 - no affiliation) and realized surface mount jobs weren’t up my alley, but for $35 it’s not the end of the world.

Witold

Rega P3-24 w/ Rega Exact > Eros II> Quickie w/PJCCS > Stereomour II w/ DC filament supply > Blumenstein Orca Mini/Max 2.1

MacBook > Grace SDAC > Crack w/ Speedball > Sennheiser HD6XX

Offline mcandmar

• Not all engineers are civil
Reply #13 on: May 24, 2020, 11:55:25 PM
Their PupDAC is actually a very nice bit of kit, and can be bought with the main IC's pre soldered onto the PCB.  http://beezar.com/pho-bzr/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=147  From memory the USB interface is 16bit only, or some other limitation.

Cant say i have any fondness to surface mount soldering, but there are plenty of good videos on youtube showing how. It's an aquired skill needing the correct tongue angle....

M.McCandless

Offline Adrian

Reply #14 on: May 25, 2020, 02:05:37 PM
@docB, hope you mend quickly!!

On the DAC end of things, I made one frustrated attempt at a grubdac (http://beezar.com/pho-bzr/catalog/index.php?cPath=44_40 - no affiliation) and realized surface mount jobs weren’t up my alley, but for $35 it’s not the end of the world.
I recently completed an AMB Labs gamma 2 DAC.  Yes, it has SMDs.  I think most hobbyists can do SMD soldering if they do some practice first.  There are several kits that can be had for little money just for practicing SMD soldering.  Search You-Tube, get some practice in and don't be afraid to give it a try.
Watch it being done and practice.  The part about practicing involves as much desoldering as soldering.  Learning how to use solder wick is a skill most of us should learn if we are going to build electronic kits.
BTW, the gamma 2 is an excellent DAC with the capability to select from three different filters.  My current favorite is the minimum phase slow roll-off filter which eliminates  preringing.

Adrian C.

VPI Prime w/Ortofon Quintet Black MC/Rothwell MCL Lundahl SUT/EROS/Submissive (3 output mod)/Mainline/Crack - Speedball/S.E.X. 2.1 - C4S/S.E.X. 3.0 - C4S/Paramounts - Blumenstein 2.2 Mini-Max w/DOF mod -Senn HD600/Viso HP50/Focal Elear.