2.2uF 250V Capacitor too wide for hole layout on PCB

nadamp · 847

Offline nadamp

As a BH first timer I'm having a ton of fun putting this together! Ran into a little snag.. on page 51 of the Eros 2.0 Manual, I am instructed to "Insert the leads of 2.2uF 250V metalized capacitor into +reg and x positions".  The width of the capacitor seems to be wider than the holes/solder pads on the PCB.  Should I be bending the leads of the cap outward then 90 degrees down to fit into the hole?

Ascii diagram with bent leads so capacitor would fit into holes provided:
----------
|  225k  |
----------
|           |
|        ---
|       |

0      0

I've attached the manual page and a few quick pics showing that the capacitor is wider than the holes.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2020, 11:32:59 AM by nadamp »

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #1 on: May 04, 2020, 09:10:15 AM
Yup, that will work fine.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline grufti

Reply #2 on: May 04, 2020, 10:17:54 AM
I ran into the same issue a couple of months ago. Make sure that you position the cap in a way that the heatsink will fit on the transistor. You might want to hold the heatsink up to the transistor before you install the cap in order to decide where the cap needs to be.

Offline nadamp

Reply #3 on: May 05, 2020, 11:31:28 AM
I ran into the same issue a couple of months ago. Make sure that you position the cap in a way that the heatsink will fit on the transistor. You might want to hold the heatsink up to the transistor before you install the cap in order to decide where the cap needs to be.
Thanks for the tip, I went ahead and followed your advice.  Attached are some pics of how I made it work for anyone that runs into this issue.