News: Trouble logging in? Log in from the login page.
May 31, 2020, 06:30:56 AM

Author Topic: Retiring my CRT projector  (Read 146 times)

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Retiring my CRT projector
« on: May 12, 2020, 06:24:59 PM »
I have had a Sony G70 CRT projector in our home theater for the past eight or nine years. It's been a great projector and I have maintained it during that time with new, quieter fans, a new green CRT (the one that wears out first) and replacement of one rebuilt card (that got a little flaky) with a good stock card. For those of you unfamiliar with this projector, it was Sony's second to top of the line CRT projector in the late 90s, capable of 1080P and sporting really top quality Mitsubishi 8" CRTs. This one has the Moome HDMI dual input card so it's HDMI compatible. We use it with a 92" screen in our relatively small theater room, about 11 x 13. You can go with a way bigger screen in a larger blacked out theater. The rest of my setup is an Oppo DVD player used as a processor for HDMI video and 5.1 surround (all Bottlehead sound) fed by a Roku.

Yes, it's old technology and it's huge. I have it hung from the ceiling with a factory ceiling mount. It can sit on a table too. It's not 4K sharp, it's actually more like watching a really good 35mm film which I find pleasant (I hate that screen door effect you see so often at the cineplex). But the color subtleties and blacks are really something special in a blacked out room and still hard to match with a digital projector. With a Silver Ticket screen the colors can be dialed to be spot on. It has a bigass remote with all sorts of adjustments for calibration and I have the service manual. The Moome also has a remote for setting up the HDMI inputs.

I have to make some changes in my theater and unfortunately the G70 doesn't fit the program. So I'm wondering if anyone local would like to buy it - cheap. This thing was about $18K new. I paid around $900 for it and the Moome card eight years ago, and put a few hundred into maintenance. The CRTs are in really great shape, lots of life left in them. It runs great, we use it several nights each week. I'm asking $150. Trust me you don't want to ship it any more than I want to crate it - 182 lbs. Local pickup only. Ping me at [email protected]

I bought the proj from Curt Palme, who has a great website for CRT projector users. http://www.curtpalme.com/SonyG70.shtm
« Last Edit: May 12, 2020, 06:27:39 PM by Doc B. »
Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.