Extended Foreplay Active Load board question

John EH · 2932

Offline John EH

on: May 15, 2020, 09:22:01 AM
I drug a Foreplay 3 out of the attic today and the Active Load board has an HMLP 6000 not lit on the left "A" side.

I've also noticed that I have a different LED installed and I think I recall many years ago it was hard to get HMLP 6000's for a while and there was a Rat Shack LED that worked okay.

Anyway, here's my question.  If that circled LED on the Active Load board is not lit will it prevent the corresponding C4S board from lighting up and the HMLP 6000 on the tube socket?  The entire right channel (if you flip it over like it is supposed to be, won't light.  I've re-tubed as well with known good tubes.   Any quick ideas or am I right to think that LED on the Active Load board is the problem?

I don't have a lot of time to tear into it today and I ordered some LED's from Digikey.  Hoping someone here can confirm what I'm thinking or set me straight.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2020, 09:23:40 AM by John EH »

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #1 on: May 15, 2020, 09:24:17 AM
Without a voltage check (all the voltages on the three boards would be what we would want to work from), the information about the LED is pretty meaningless.  You are welcome to send it in for repair, I still see a fair number of these rolling in for rework.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline John EH

Reply #2 on: May 15, 2020, 10:00:22 AM
Without a voltage check (all the voltages on the three boards would be what we would want to work from), the information about the LED is pretty meaningless.  You are welcome to send it in for repair, I still see a fair number of these rolling in for rework.

Nah, I built it.  I can fix it.  :). Just hoping someone had seen this before.   I'll run through the voltage checks here in a bit.  Thanks!

John

Offline John EH

Reply #3 on: May 15, 2020, 10:42:45 AM
Okay, everything is okay on the PS rails.

12 = 0, resistance good
15 = 1.1v
21 = 0, resistance good
22=  0, resistance good

31 through the end = all good within 10% and clean music comes out that side.

Active load board -------------Full stop-----------------

Went to see if there was voltage on the underside of the active load board coming in, there was.

Then when I bent it up to take a good measurement I got good voltage in 12, 15, 21, 22.  Looks like a crummy solder connection on 21.  All is lit up and working now.......and crap I just ordered a bunch of LED's from Digikey but I got some other stuff too so no biggie.

Thanks for the quick response.   That has always been my experience here.  I have 2 Foreplay 3's, a Foreplay 2 that I sold, SEX, Paramour, SEXy Speaker and have 2 Cracks and built another one for someone. 

Haven't dabbled for a while but it's fun and worth the money!

Thanks Paul..............John

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #4 on: May 15, 2020, 10:56:12 AM
Without a voltage check (all the voltages on the three boards would be what we would want to work from)

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man