Building custom knobs

oguinn · 454

Offline oguinn

on: June 23, 2020, 05:23:57 AM
I'm about to have a hefty amount of time off work because of a baby and am considering building some custom potentiometer knobs out of walnut dowels. I'm thinking I'd get the wood, cut the rounds into 1" lengths (or so) and drill two holes - one to receive the potentiometer shaft and the other to hold a set screw. My questions are - what is the part called that holds the potentiometer shaft and set screw, and is there a supplier anyone is aware of?

I can answer the second question myself if someone can help me with the first.

Jameson O'Guinn

-

Main System: Schiit Bifrost MB, Rega Planar 6 with Exact cartridge, Eros 2, BeePre, Kaiju/Stereomour II, Jagers, Mainline

Desktop System: Crack with Speedball

Offline Jay

Reply #1 on: June 23, 2020, 05:32:05 AM
I think the threaded sleeve that holds the set screw is called a threaded insert

Jay L.

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #2 on: June 23, 2020, 05:37:53 AM
I imagine you're either looking at salvaging the center tube from a plastic knob or fabbing one from some 1/4" ID thick wall brass tubing. Should be pretty easy - cut tube to length, epoxy in knob, drill and tap for set screw.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline oguinn

Reply #3 on: June 23, 2020, 05:39:54 AM
Do you reckon brass like that be easy enough to cut with a Dremel, or would I need something a little more aggro?
« Last Edit: June 23, 2020, 05:45:56 AM by oguinn »

Jameson O'Guinn

-

Main System: Schiit Bifrost MB, Rega Planar 6 with Exact cartridge, Eros 2, BeePre, Kaiju/Stereomour II, Jagers, Mainline

Desktop System: Crack with Speedball

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #4 on: June 23, 2020, 05:47:04 AM
You could just drill and tap the walnut itself.  If you wanted to be thorough, drill and tap the walnut, then go over the threads with superglue, then chase the tap through again. 

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline Thermioniclife

Reply #5 on: June 23, 2020, 10:35:43 AM
Hey Jameson, My favorite whiskey by the way,
Have fun making custom wooden knobs, lots of good advice here on this thread. Here is another thing you can do if you have any amps with an exposed hum pot, make a cover with a small hole for a trimmer screwdriver. Granted it would be convenient if you had a lathe or a friend who has one. I just got a Bocote hardwood dowel expressly for that purpose. Excuse the poor drawing.

Lee R.