New product idea

oguinn · 926

Offline oguinn

on: May 20, 2020, 04:57:46 AM
When can we expect Bottlehead to create a kit for 833A monoblocks? An ideal product would bundle the tubes, caps, resistors, wire, and transformers with term life insurance.

Jameson O'Guinn

-

Main System: Schiit Bifrost MB, Rega Planar 6 with Exact cartridge, Eros 2, BeePre, Kaiju/Stereomour II, Jagers, Mainline

Desktop System: Crack with Speedball

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #1 on: May 20, 2020, 05:03:30 AM
I'm working on one.  I'm stopping short of getting everything I could out of the tube and just aiming for 100W.  Based on the size of components of the amps in the video, I'd say those are closer to 20 or 30W; that's certainly plenty for those big horn speakers!

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline oguinn

Reply #2 on: May 20, 2020, 05:04:54 AM
Well when it's complete I think you know I'm going to want photos and a write up for the gallery site!

Jameson O'Guinn

-

Main System: Schiit Bifrost MB, Rega Planar 6 with Exact cartridge, Eros 2, BeePre, Kaiju/Stereomour II, Jagers, Mainline

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #3 on: May 20, 2020, 05:08:28 AM
Sure, I can do that.  I'm still recovering from the bill for the output transformers, so it will be a while!

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Deke609

Reply #4 on: May 20, 2020, 05:20:11 AM
An ideal product would bundle the tubes, caps, resistors, wire, and transformers with term life insurance.

Hah! SHORT term life insurance would suffice for new builders and fools like me.  B+of 1.2kV to 4kV (with forced air cooling)!   I'm in!    ;D

Offline oguinn

Reply #5 on: May 20, 2020, 05:28:08 AM
Might want to include a Happy Fun Ball sort of disclaimer.

Jameson O'Guinn

-

Deke609

Reply #6 on: May 20, 2020, 05:32:30 AM
I'm still recovering from the bill for the output transformers, so it will be a while!

Monolith Magnetic OPTs - wow! I've read good things about them, but the prices have scared me away.

@PB - Is this a custom build for a client or a personal project?

@Oguinn - I experience most of those same symptoms just thinking about building a 1.2kV power supply!

cheers, Derek

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #7 on: May 20, 2020, 05:55:58 AM
I'm building the 833 amps for myself, though I certainly would be open to selling a pair or two.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Offline oguinn

Reply #8 on: May 20, 2020, 05:57:54 AM
If I had an unlimited supply of money...

Jameson O'Guinn

-

Offline jtori

Reply #9 on: May 20, 2020, 06:47:55 AM
Might want to include a Happy Fun Ball sort of disclaimer.

Love it!

Joe.

Offline oguinn

Reply #10 on: May 20, 2020, 06:49:43 AM
Love it!

Joe.
One of my favorites, although I feel a little attacked that an SNL skit I watched growing up is now categorized as "vintage".

Jameson O'Guinn

-

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #11 on: May 20, 2020, 07:22:03 AM
You young pup. I feel the same way except it's the Chevy Chase/Gilda Radner/Danny Akroyd/John Belushi/Jane Curtin/Garrett Morris/Laraine Newman era stuff that I remember watching. And I was in college.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #12 on: May 20, 2020, 07:25:05 AM
I feel the same way except it's the Chevy Chase/Gilda Radner/Danny Akroyd/John Belushi/Jane Curtin/Garrett Morris/Laraine Newman era stuff that I remember watching.
What about Fatty Arbuckle?  ;)

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Offline jtori

Reply #13 on: May 20, 2020, 10:41:42 AM
You young pup. I feel the same way except it's the Chevy Chase/Gilda Radner/Danny Akroyd/John Belushi/Jane Curtin/Garrett Morris/Laraine Newman era stuff that I remember watching. And I was in college.

Ahhh .... The golden years.  I remember these.  They don't make TV like that anymore.