Lost left channel [resolved]

onelivewire · 459

Offline onelivewire

on: June 03, 2020, 11:47:42 AM
I've been enjoying my SEX 3.0 + C4S for about a year now. Once or twice, the left channel has cut in and out or given me some static. I peeked inside on one of these occasions and the LEDs for the left channel were out. However, after placing back into the base, everything worked just fine. My guess was that it was an imperfect solder joint.

Today, one of the first hot days of the year, I was using the amp and mid-listen, the left channel cut out. Looking underneath, the LEDs are indeed out again. This time, they're staying out, and a bit of chopstick prodding on that side of the PCB didn't seem to identify what connection I may need to solder.

Is there a point I should start from, or should start doing voltage and resistance checks from the top of the manual?
« Last Edit: June 03, 2020, 04:26:23 PM by Paul Birkeland »

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #1 on: June 03, 2020, 11:51:13 AM
I would just resolder all the joints on the front four terminal strips and the C4S board.   Poking and prodding with a chopstick should reveal what's loose.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline onelivewire

Reply #2 on: June 03, 2020, 12:56:20 PM
Thanks for the advice, Paul! After soldering the leads but seeing no change, and a good deal of prodding, I resoldered the rest of that side of the board. Although that didn't fix it, upon testing I saw some sparks come off of the resistor in series with the positive lead to the C4S board. The joint there had cracked loose, and a little solder has me up and running again!

Thanks so much for the quick attention!