Question for Doc B

theGopher · 438

Offline theGopher

on: May 22, 2020, 08:56:10 AM
Hello Doc

I read somewhere on the forum that your personal Crack used a 7119 as the input tube, but what does it use as the output tube? I know that combo would be for your personal taste in music presentation but I'd be interested in knowing what you think goes well with the 7119.

Thanks

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #1 on: May 22, 2020, 09:28:36 AM
I won't at all dispute that I may have owned a Crack with a 7119, but honestly I can't recall it. Wish I could help. Maybe PB or PJ recalls one? We've probably had at least half a dozen different Crack amps around here over the years, and it seems like most had stock tubes except for a wacky one we did with an adapter that replaced the 6080 with two 7233s. What I recall about that is don't bother running out to try it as it sounded pretty much the same as a 6080.

What I did to a Crack to make it suit my taste is create the Crackatwoa with PB and PJ.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline theGopher

Reply #2 on: May 22, 2020, 09:36:01 AM
Thanks for the quick reply Doc. I can't afford a second mortgage on the output tube so I'm going to try a 1970s SED 6H13C and a Thomson CSF 6080 for now.

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #3 on: May 22, 2020, 10:01:50 AM
The 7119 is not a direct replacement in the circuit.  If you can post a link to where you read that, there may be more information in the context of where that information was posted.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man