Think I might have fried a capacitor... [resolved]

clydedroid · 456

Offline clydedroid

Hi all,

I just finished my Crack, it passed all of the resistance and voltage checks, so I eagerly plugged in my HD650s and pressed play, but no sound was coming out. It was then that I noticed the LEDs on the 9-pin socket weren't lighting, so I started remelting a few solder joints and making sure everything looked right. On a second round of voltage testing I noticed the LEDs were lit! But as soon as I unplugged and flipped it over and plugged back in, they weren't lit again, and still no sound. (The tubes were lighting up just fine, though).

Frustrated, I decided to remelt every joint and add solder where needed. Probably stupidly, I left the power cord plugged in to the Crack (but not to the wall!!). When I tried to resolder 21L, where one of the rectifiers goes in below the capacitor, I got a huge spark, it scared the crap out of me. Unsurprisingly, my resistance check now fails at terminals 20 and 22 14 and 20 (though it passes everywhere else). The fuse is not blown, and I haven't plugged it back in to the wall since the spark.

I'm guessing I fried the capacitor or the rectifier, but I'm not sure. Any idea where I should go from here? I have attached pictures below, any help would be greatly appreciated...
« Last Edit: June 28, 2020, 01:31:16 PM by Paul Birkeland »

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #1 on: June 27, 2020, 10:53:06 AM
Much like the post just under yours, this is a soldering issue.  All the joints other than the ones on the 9 pin socket need more solder and more heat. 

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline clydedroid

Reply #2 on: June 27, 2020, 11:00:36 AM
Thanks for the response! I figured my joints needed touching up, I’ll definitely keep working on them. Should I be concerned about the spark and pop though? Could that indicate that I messed up the capacitor?

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #3 on: June 27, 2020, 11:37:43 AM
No.  Resolder your joints, then post some new photos and recheck those resistances.

-PB

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Offline clydedroid

Reply #4 on: June 28, 2020, 01:12:23 PM
Paul, thank you so much!! I reheated every single joint, adding where needed. After that, resistance and voltage checks passed and it's working perfectly. I'm off on my way to audio heaven. Thanks again for your input!!

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #5 on: June 28, 2020, 01:31:08 PM
You're welcome, I'm glad you got it all sorted.

-PB

Paul "PB" Birkeland