Audio Note potentiometer

kill_surf_city · 1031

Offline kill_surf_city

on: July 01, 2020, 09:04:31 AM
I just got the Audio Note pot in the mail today but the stem is too wide to fit in the hole in the chassis. Anyone who has installed one of these pots know what to do?

Deke609

Reply #1 on: July 01, 2020, 09:37:57 AM
I've never installed one, but there's only one way forward: you need to enlarge the chassis hole to 10 mm. I can think of a few ways of doing this: (1) drill in small increments - starting with a bit just barely larger than the existing hole - you need pointed bits so that the bit self-centers (no spades); (2) round file; or (3) a hand deburring/scraping tool - the kind that has a sickle shaped blade.  The latter is a surprisingly effective method for making modest hole enlargements in aluminum.

cheers, Derek

Offline kill_surf_city

Reply #2 on: July 01, 2020, 10:04:09 AM
I've never installed one, but there's only one way forward: you need to enlarge the chassis hole to 10 mm. I can think of a few ways of doing this: (1) drill in small increments - starting with a bit just barely larger than the existing hole - you need pointed bits so that the bit self-centers (no spades); (2) round file; or (3) a hand deburring/scraping tool - the kind that has a sickle shaped blade.  The latter is a surprisingly effective method for making modest hole enlargements in aluminum.

cheers, Derek

Thanks!

Got it in. Biggest improvement in sound since the Speedball. Bass is incredible.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2020, 10:21:41 AM by kill_surf_city »

Offline Deluk

Reply #3 on: July 02, 2020, 01:40:26 AM
Does the original control knob fit the Audio Note? Frankly I wouldn't expect any significant change to the sound beyond maybe improved accuracy of channel balance and a smoother feel when adjusting. My ears are rather old though.  :)

Offline mudvin

Reply #4 on: July 04, 2020, 01:11:04 AM
Audio Note pot is 6mm, so the original knob will fit (but you can't put a 6mm knob on the 1/4 inch pot).

Best way to do it is 1 turn of Kapton (or any tape you are happy to use) tape around the  shaft. Keeps the knob centered (It will work anyway, but this is better)

Similar to what you describe, I didn't notice much difference in sound however low end balance is much better. Also it has a *much* more premium feel to it when turning. Neither has scratchy sound in the audio path like some really low end pots
« Last Edit: July 04, 2020, 01:13:12 AM by mudvin »

Offline superhans

Reply #5 on: August 03, 2020, 10:45:05 PM
I just installed it the other day. Basically, I just drilled the hole a bit bigger and it fit no problems. You would need a power drill and a drill bit that is meant for metal, that's it.
What a wonderful pot if I may add, so smooth!

Edit: I've used one of those stepped drill bits. It really helped with making hole the right size. Please check the image below.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2020, 10:57:36 PM by superhans »