Which to get? Sennheiser HD650 vs others

Dr. Toobz · 15787

Offline Dr. Toobz

on: March 04, 2010, 05:00:11 PM
I currently have a pair of Beyerdynamic DT880 Pro headphones (2005 model, 250 ohm). While I love the huge soundstage and crisp highs, the mids are a bit recessed and more importantly, they really lack low bass compared to even my $69 Grado SR-60's. At first I kept thinking it could be the S.E.X. amp output impedance, or the Quickie, or my DAC - but I've now ruled all of the usual suspects out, leaving the headphones as the culprit. In fact, I think my Klipsch Heresy III's sometimes have better bass than these things, and that's sad.

I've heard quite a few BH members mention Sennheisers as being great headphones for the S.E.X. amp. So, here's a question or two: a) 650 vs 600? b) Compared to the Beyers, would I gain warmer mids and better bass, without getting too "murky," and c) is there any merit to that whole "veil" stereotype, esp. with a clean and revealing-sounding amp like the enhanced S.E.X.? Nobody in my area sells these, so I'd have to buy them without having heard them first. Thus, I'm interested in what people have to say about these cans.

I have also thought about AKG 702's, but I think they would just be more of the things I dislike about the Beyers (i.e., thin, sharp, cold, too lightweight below 100Hz). The HD800's are a bit too pricey, and I've grown to really dislike my Grados. So, it's going to be the 600's or 650's, unless somebody can suggest something better. Music tastes are mostly jazz and classic rock.

Thanks!

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #1 on: March 15, 2010, 12:10:46 PM
A used set of HD-600's for roughly 200 bucks is an inexpensive way to find out. 

I also have the DT-880's that I believe are identical to yours, and I think you will be happier with an HD-600 or maybe an AKG K501 based on what you describe. 

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline mrarroyo

Reply #2 on: March 15, 2010, 01:33:34 PM
You could also opt for the 2003 version of the DT880 which in my opinion had a thicker more impactful bottom end. I find the bass in the HD650 to be un-natural and overdone and prefer the overall sound/presentation out of the HD600 or the HD580.

Offline Dr. Toobz

Reply #3 on: March 15, 2010, 03:24:00 PM
It seems to be really hard to choose between the HD600 and 650's! They both seem to have fans. From what I've been reading, however, the 650's are bassier and darker sounding than the 600's. I have a feeling that the 600's are more "balanced" yet would still be a step-up in the bass department compared to the '05 Beyers. I'm a little afraid now to bother with the 650's, after reading some reviews describing them as "thick," "murky," and "bottom-heavy." Bass is good, but all I really seek is balance. Right now, I feel like the highs on the Beyers are much more prominent than the lows - and as bass is one of my instruments, it's too important of a frequency range (IMO) to leave out.

Sounds like the 600's are my best bet, no?

Offline Hank Murrow

• Potter loving music and tubes....
    • Hank Murrow's World of Ceramics
Reply #4 on: March 16, 2010, 04:05:06 AM
Dear DrToobz;

Paul Birkeland sold me a pair of refurbished HD600s and I can report that they are not bass shy. I have not tried the 650s, but the 'Soul Sister on Steroids' (see gallery here) that Paul built for me sounds very well balanced as revealed by the 600s. I am very happy with them.

Offline dmannnnn

Reply #5 on: March 16, 2010, 02:12:25 PM
I had both the older version of the DT880 (250ohm) and the HD600 at the same time and compared them alot.  The DT's I had seemed to have a response that was tipped up at both ends with a recessed mid range.  Fun to listen to, but not extremely accurate and a little bass heavy.  The Senns are really more even handed and seem to give a full picture of the music from top to bottom.  I wouldn't call them bass heavy comapred to the Beyers, but it was like switching from cones to planars, the bass was less pronounced but much more detailed.  The Senns also feel a bit heavier on the head after awhile, but I like their larger ear cups.  They also have a much more open design which allows outside noise in, but i think also makes them sound more natural.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2010, 02:15:45 PM by dmannnnn »

Harmon Kardon T60 - Hagerman Bugle - Cal Audio Labs CL15
ForePlayIII - Paramount 300B's
Klipsch RF-7/Altec Model 14/Magnepan MG12

Offline Dr. Toobz

Reply #6 on: August 06, 2010, 07:19:04 PM
I finally ended up snagging a pair of like-new 650's on eBay for rather cheap. So far, I like them, though I can tell that they have not been broken in yet. Lows and mids have more presence and "meat" to them than my Beyers, though the Beyers seem to have a larger soundstage. There's actually not an Earth-shattering difference between these phones, at least not in their unbroken state. The Beyers sound sort of thin and bland when I switch back and forth - if there's any Sennheiser "veil" here, I'm certainly not hearing it. Great sound through the Crack amp, almost as good with the S.E.X., and I suspect almost as good with the Quickie once I finish rebuilding it into a "SuperQuckie" - with custom enclosure and better parts.

Offline ssssly

Reply #7 on: August 07, 2010, 12:16:36 AM
I see you already bought a pair of phones but just thought I would give you another option. Might want to check out the AKG 240 series. I have a pair of K240DFs that I have been using with my SEX. I am very fond of them and you can pick up a pair used for around $100.