BeePre voltages off and LEDs light up on A side but not on B [resolved]

Tubegopher · 952

Offline Tubegopher

• Don Palmer
Well, I thought I had done a good job of assembly but I have problems. I am not as good as I had assumed! :)   I am not getting any filament voltage on the 300Bs. I am getting filament voltage on the EL84s. The LEDs on A side light up, but not the B side. My voltages are off such as:

2 should be 90 to 110 and reads 160V
4 should be 9.85 and is 0
6 should be 146v and reads 169v
10 should be 186 and reads 181v
11 should be 146 and reads 171v
15 should be 186 and reads 179
16 should be 5v and reads 0
17 should be 90-110v and reads 169v
19 should be 9.85v and reads 0
22 and 25 read 211V
29 and 30 should read 6.8v and read 7.7v
31 should read 13.6v and reads 12.4
34 should read 13.6 and reads 15.6
c3 and d3 should read 3.5 to 4.5v and read 1.8v
c7 and d7 should read 147v and read 173
c9 and d9 should read 147v and read 170
Other than that... I was perfect!
« Last Edit: July 13, 2020, 05:00:26 AM by Paul Birkeland »

300B amps with 6SJ7 in Triode mode, dc fil. volt. for 300Bs. BeePre with Bill Milosz built Eros Phono. Teres Turntable, Pete Riggle "12 inch Woody Tonearm" Grace F9  with Soundsmith ruby cantilever stylus.Cambridge Audio CD with MHDT Labs Orchid DAC Rega NAOS Spkrs, Atelier Rullit super tweeters

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
What do you get at POS In and POS Out on each power supply board? 

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline Tubegopher

• Don Palmer
Paul, excuse my ignorance but what do you mean by POS ?
Thanks,
Don

300B amps with 6SJ7 in Triode mode, dc fil. volt. for 300Bs. BeePre with Bill Milosz built Eros Phono. Teres Turntable, Pete Riggle "12 inch Woody Tonearm" Grace F9  with Soundsmith ruby cantilever stylus.Cambridge Audio CD with MHDT Labs Orchid DAC Rega NAOS Spkrs, Atelier Rullit super tweeters

Deke609

The filament regulator boards have holes labelled "Neg IN", "POS IN", "NEG OUT" and "POS OUT" -- along the outer edges of the long sides.

cheers, Derek

Offline Tubegopher

• Don Palmer
Thanks Derek,
I will follow up now that I see what he was asking!  :D

Offline Tubegopher

• Don Palmer
Paul,
I get the following:
Pos in A 15.4 B 12.2
Pos out A 10.4  B 7.6
Thanks,
Don

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Unplug the 300Bs and recheck POS Out on both sides.  The voltage at POS out A indicates that the 300B it feeds should be lit up, is it lit up? 

The 7.6V at Post Out B indicates a fault that would have to be addressed before anything else is examined.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Offline Tubegopher

• Don Palmer
Thanks Paul, I will look into it tomorrow. I have had a couple of glasses of wine ... Will wait! :o

Offline Tubegopher

• Don Palmer
I have spent some time checking connections and solder joints and re-touched many solder joints.
The current voltages for Pos in and out with no 300B installed are:
For A Pos  in 15.7 Pos out 10.4
For B Pos in 13.8  pos out 7.8

Neither of the 300B tubes are lighting up at all.

One thing I noticed and I can't find where it said to do this is:
There is an interconnect bare wire connecting terminal 24 to 23 on A side and
terminal 41 to 42 on B side. Should these be there or was this a mistake?

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Yes, those interconnections need to be there. 

Your B side seems loaded down even with no tubes installed.  This could be from a backwards 10,000uF cap up by the socket, swapped transistors on the noise filter on the power supply board, or some other miswire.  This will be something different between the working side and the non working side.

The A side board will light up a 300B, it's just not that easily seen.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Offline Tubegopher

• Don Palmer
Paul, you were right. There was a significant mis-wire that I did and it has been corrected now . Thank you for all of your help! I have now listened to several vinyl records and a couple of CDs and I am truly blown away! My wife has better ears than me and she is shocked at the amount of improvement over our previous preamp!  Our turntable now truly sounds better than our CD player and that is partly due to the Eros phono preamp! So glad to have found Bottlehead!  ;D