What would complement the SEX kit?

Tom H · 803

Offline Tom H

on: July 01, 2020, 03:49:31 PM
Hello,

I'm building the bottlehead SEX (with upgrade) at the moment. I'm curious as to what I could build next from bottlehead that would be a good complement to it. I'm fairly new to the audiophile world, so I'm not sure what would be an obvious choice, but I know I want to keep on building! I have a desktop setup with a pair of DT880 600ohms. I'm planning on getting some speakers in the future. I'm looking for something to build next that would still use the SEX (so that it is not obsolete and just collecting dust) and will improve my listening experience as a whole. Any ideas? Thanks.

Tom

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #1 on: July 01, 2020, 05:00:41 PM
Go vinyl. Get a turntable with a moving magnet cartridge and build a Reduction phono preamp.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline Tom H

Reply #2 on: July 01, 2020, 06:38:49 PM
Hi Dan,

Thanks for the response. What other options might be possible if I'm not looking into vinyl?

Offline Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #3 on: July 01, 2020, 07:34:51 PM
Once you have speakers, you may want a separate headphone amp - if so, your cans are ideally suited for the Crack.

We only have one speaker kit, and it's kind of overkill for the little SEX amp. But there are many speaker kits from places like Madisound or Parts Express. Or the SEXy Speaker DIY project, filed under Product Archives/Community.

You already have the only S.E.X. kit upgrade. There's the power cord kit, of course.

If you only have one source then you don't need a preamp.

Paul Joppa