BeePre II ?

triode · 851

Offline triode

on: August 22, 2020, 09:26:53 AM
Hi,

Any plan on BeePree with updated power transformer to accommodate 2A3/45?
I just feel a bit "strange" (just me, without technical reason) to have mighty 300B pre-amp driving tiny 45 power-amp. 

I also read somewhere that current BeePree only accept 120V mains? Maybe new universal trans for the next update?

Thanks

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #1 on: August 22, 2020, 09:31:47 AM
Any plan on BeePree with updated power transformer to accommodate 2A3/45?
That is tremendously unlikely, especially with the 2A3.  Super quiet filament power is extremely important for a directly heated preamp to work properly, and making a regulated 2.5V/2.5A power supply would end up driving the product price up more than just using the 300B.  As far as the #45 goes, its internal impedance is a little high to be used in this manner in a high end product.

I just feel a bit "strange" (just me, without technical reason) to have mighty 300B pre-amp driving tiny 45 power-amp. 
There's an obvious solution to that problem ;)

tb
I also read somewhere that current BeePree only accept 120V mains? Maybe new universal trans for the next update?
That is correct.  We will be transitioning the kit shortly to the universal power transformer that's equivalent to the remaining 120V units we have now, but we haven't done that quite yet.  I should bug Doc B. about doing the next manual...

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline triode

Reply #2 on: August 22, 2020, 09:42:33 AM
Thanks PB

Maybe 2A3 as option/upgrade (although more expensive) so the original price could be kept?
Anyway, I'm watching with great interest.

Regards

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #3 on: August 22, 2020, 11:54:32 AM
Maybe 2A3 as option/upgrade (although more expensive) so the original price could be kept?
You would need different power transformers, a very different pair of regulator boards and parts, and a pair of 2A3 tubes, so this would be maybe a $600 parts kit that wouldn't necessarily be an upgrade. It's tough to imagine that being a popular product.

The current BeePre works with 6A3s by the way.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline pduk

Reply #4 on: August 23, 2020, 01:01:19 AM
I'd be interested in a universal power transformer upgrade kit if such a thing were possible at some point in the future - just to stop me needing to use the step down transformer I currently use (I'm in the UK, 240v).

Paul.