Voltage check isn't checking out

brianbuntz · 1545

Offline brianbuntz

on: September 03, 2020, 03:26:28 PM
I just put together my kit and my voltages don't check out.  Here are my readings:
IA - 215
IB - 103
OA - 167
OB - 100
OC - 97
OD - 97
OkA - 99
OkB - 96
OkC - 1.8
OkD - 0
Thoughts?

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #1 on: September 03, 2020, 05:07:51 PM
Did the regulator board check out above the 12AU7 when you tested it? 

Posting build photos is really helpful for debugging.  Specifically the top and bottom of the main PC board and the wiring on the three front 9 pin sockets.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline brianbuntz

Reply #2 on: September 04, 2020, 08:48:59 AM
As far as I know, the regulator board is OK. All of the LEDs on that board come on, and the previous tests for the amp all checked out.

I may have had some touching leads on the bottom of the C4S board when I took a resoldered all of the connections on that board. Supporting that theory is a test I did with a semiconductor component analyzer, which suggested that two of the LEDs and one MJE350 had short circuits. I removed them and ordered replacements.   

I also found a potentially problematic solder joint for the resistor at RkA.

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #3 on: September 04, 2020, 01:33:48 PM
I would not have removed any parts from the amp.  I can't even remember the last time I had a bad MJE-350...

When you have all the parts on the board that should be there, let us know and we can continue looking for what's going on.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Offline brianbuntz

Reply #4 on: September 12, 2020, 09:07:56 AM
OK, Here it is again.

For now, seem to be having the same issue. I haven't done the voltage check again because I have a couple of LEDs that are not coming on. If all of the LEDs are not on, is it safe to check the voltages again?

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #5 on: September 12, 2020, 11:57:31 AM
For now, seem to be having the same issue. I haven't done the voltage check again because I have a couple of LEDs that are not coming on.
Voltages are informative.  LEDs glowing or not glowing isn't particularly useful information on its own.

If all of the LEDs are not on, is it safe to check the voltages again?
Yes, please check the voltages.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Offline brianbuntz

Reply #6 on: September 12, 2020, 01:00:45 PM
OK, Here are the readings. Not sure why there is 0 Volts on OkD. IB and OB are off as well.

IA - 215V
IB - 103V
OA - 167V
OB - 101V
OC - 96V
OD - 99V
OkA - 97V
OkB - 98V
OkC - 1.7V
OkD -  0V

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #7 on: September 12, 2020, 01:10:28 PM
Did this build pass the shunt regulator test where you test the board above the 12AU7?

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Offline brianbuntz

Reply #8 on: September 12, 2020, 01:16:13 PM
Yes, this build passed the shunt regulator test.

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #9 on: September 12, 2020, 01:19:59 PM
Pop the wires out of IA and IB on the board up front mounted above the 6922 tube, then recheck operation of the board above the 12AU7 using the instructions at the end of page 55 in the manual.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Offline brianbuntz

Reply #10 on: September 12, 2020, 03:23:17 PM
Retested:  216 on the B side and 141 on the A side.  This is different than my previous test, so I guess the build doesn't pass.  Assuming I should remove my board and check all connections.

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #11 on: September 12, 2020, 03:30:45 PM
Yeah, there's an issue with the regulator above the 12AU7.  Look for broken wires, joints that aren't soldered on the terminal strips mounted by the 12AU7, etc.

If you can't locate anything wrong, you could certainly post pictures of that area and we can have a look to see if we can spot anything.  This part of the circuit has to work 100% before debugging the rest.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Offline brianbuntz

Reply #12 on: September 13, 2020, 06:15:50 AM
OK, that board had checked out OK, so it is possible there was a bad solder joint or something. I reflowed solder in most places. Here's where I am now:
« Last Edit: September 13, 2020, 06:17:30 AM by brianbuntz »

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #13 on: September 13, 2020, 06:56:27 AM
If you look at R1 on the A side, see how we can see down into the board around one lead of the resistor?  That's a textbook solder joint that hasn't been heated enough.  The solder needs to flow through the plating on the inside of the holes on the PC board.  I would reheat all your joints and heat them until you see the solder suck down into the joint.

The one exception to this would be the solder joints for the LEDs, as generally there is so little material to heat with the LEDs that the solder joints flow almost instantly.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Offline brianbuntz

Reply #14 on: September 13, 2020, 10:43:00 AM
OK, I reflowed the solder in all of the joints on that board. Also reflowed the solder in the tube socket below. 

The voltage of the MJE5731A on the A side is still measuring too low -- about 140V. It is correct on the B side. Don't know what else to try.