Quick Alps Blue Question

A Jedi · 1621

Offline Adrian

Reply #15 on: September 25, 2020, 02:10:52 AM
I soldered directly to the pins and it's been fine for 8 years.  I know it's not recommended but I've been pretty decent with a iron for a long time.   I finally bought a board about a year ago but I would have had to trim some wood away from the inside of the box in order for the board to clear.   I didn't feel like the extra work with everything working peachy as is so I went with the "if it ain't broke ... " approach and skipped it.   Maybe I'll eventually get around to it.  Or maybe someone makes a smaller board???

I'd definitely use the board if I had it before I changed the pot to the ALPS but I didn't even realize a mounting board existed back when I did it.

Yeah, me too.
I never knew there was a PCB to facilitate soldering this in.
I've worked with SMD soldering and didn't see a problem just soldering directly to the pins.  Used flux and small gauge solder and finished it like it was an SMD part.
However, I can see where the pins could get strained if there is movement of the wiring.
If I need to do this again I would use the PCB.

Adrian C.

VPI Prime w/Ortofon Quintet Black MC/Rothwell MCL Lundahl SUT/EROS/Submissive (3 output mod)/Mainline/Crack - Speedball/S.E.X. 2.1 - C4S/S.E.X. 3.0 - C4S/Paramounts - Blumenstein 2.2 Mini-Max w/DOF mod -Senn HD600/Viso HP50/Focal Elear.