Current/mA per channel on the Pro Bias

currly30 · 732

Offline currly30

on: November 26, 2023, 10:04:17 PM
Was wondering what the Current mA/channel is on the Pro output on this amp. I was looking at getting it but want to be sure it can effectively run the harder to drive DCA Estats.

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #1 on: November 27, 2023, 04:52:38 AM
Typically what you would look for would be high frequency roll-off characteristics due to the capacitance of the headphone itself.  The 135pF of the DCA is not particularly problematic with the Stat, so there are no concerns there.

If you knew the drive voltage requirement for the DCAs, then we could do some analysis on the output stage of the Stat and its capability in terms of slewing at 20kHz at those playback levels, but that information is absent from the product information that I can see.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline currly30

Reply #2 on: November 27, 2023, 01:19:25 PM
As far as I can tell DCA doesn't give the voltage requirements for their estats.

I guess I was wondering the mA output to compare to the Blue Hawaiian. Which states it has 32mA output current. 

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #3 on: November 27, 2023, 02:15:12 PM
The Blue Hawaii and the Stat have similar voltage output capabilities, but the tubes we use (and the power transformer we use) wouldn't support that kind of operating current.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man