periodic chirp (or squeak?) every ~12 seconds

jmacinnes · 1912

Offline larcenasb

Reply #30 on: October 23, 2020, 06:23:46 AM
Hahaha, such an awesome and resourceful suggestion, Mr. Joppa!

Lowell B.

Offline Deluk

Reply #31 on: October 24, 2020, 12:50:12 AM
Do you know anybody who has a mini Honda generator to provide you with power? Desperate measures! Not sure if you have taken the Crack to another location for a cross check that way.

Deke609

Reply #32 on: October 24, 2020, 03:27:57 AM
Another cheap experiment: wrap the wooden base a few times in aluminum foil, and tuck the last 1/4 inch of the last corner of the foil wrap under a corner of the metal chassis plate (but NOT at the corner with the IEC inlet). This will form a shield of sorts that can drain to house ground via the chassis plate.

If the foil experiment helps, you could buy some copper film tape and line the inside of the base, including the narrow lip/shelf of the base that supports the chassis.

cheers, Derek

Offline jmacinnes

Reply #33 on: October 24, 2020, 10:02:13 AM
Actually, the jellyroll pan was a pretty good idea. I grabbed a heavy duty 9x13" one, and if I hold it over the Crack like an umbrella (tilted just a bit toward the west south west) it seems to block the chirping almost entirely! I can only assume this means the signal is coming from the mothership locked in geosynchronous orbit somewhere up in that vicinity, but I'm much more interested in enjoying my amp again than in deciphering whatever message they're trying to send me ;)

I'm going to try wrapping the base in foil too, like you suggest Derek. If that works just as well, the copper film tape will be an elegant solution. If not, gonna buy a few more jellyroll pans and break out the hacksaw to build an enclosure for the amp to live in.

Really appreciate all of the help and suggestions in tracking this thing down (and more importantly, ideas for how to block it)! Can't tell you how much the chirps have been driving me mad!

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #34 on: October 24, 2020, 03:26:18 PM
They're trying to communicate with you...

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline 2wo

• Test
Reply #35 on: October 24, 2020, 06:11:18 PM
Better get out your tinfoil hat...John

John Scanlon