Mainline with Hugo TT2

Loquah · 673

Offline Loquah

• Accidental Tube Addict
    • Passion For Sound
on: September 22, 2020, 06:46:08 PM
Hi all, I've recently acquired a Hugo TT2 which is feeding the Mainline (of course). I've noticed that when I switch sources TO the TT2, I hear a quick, sharp crack through my headphones. This doesn't happen when switching away from the TT2 so I'm wondering if there's something going on that I should be aware of.

I've tried rolling the TT2 outputs all the way down to zero, but the DC (I think) crack remains. Changing which input the TT2 is connected to causes the crack to switch (i.e. it always occurs when switching to the TT2, regardless of input 1 or input 2 used)

Check out my reviews on YouTube - https://youtube.com/c/passionforsound

Offline Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #1 on: September 22, 2020, 08:06:34 PM
Does it still happen if the Mainline volume is all the way down? Sounds like there's a DC offset - the ground of the output RCAs is at a different voltage than the safety ground. Perhaps it's floating, with no reference until it is connected to something that IS referenced. Mainline, like most of what we offer, switches grounds along with the signal.

Paul Joppa

Offline Loquah

• Accidental Tube Addict
    • Passion For Sound
Reply #2 on: September 27, 2020, 12:03:54 PM
Hi Paul,

Yes, still happens with lowest possible volume setting. I do notice that I occasionally feel a bit of a sting if I forget to turn off the TT2 while unplugging the cables so I'm guessing you're right about the floating ground. As long as it's not showing an fault in the Mainline then we're all good. I rarely use the Mainline for A/B testing now and just enjoy it for music mostly.

Cheers,
Lachlan

Check out my reviews on YouTube - https://youtube.com/c/passionforsound