Thanks for the education

glynnw · 359

Offline glynnw

on: October 24, 2020, 11:10:44 AM
It looks like it has been 10 years or so since I posted here. At one time I think I built almost all of the kits including the Straight 8 speakers.  Yesterday I got an email from the man who had bought my tricked out Paramounts six years ago.  He just wanted me to know they were still his favorite amps. But somehow the kit building just stopped, as my poor eyesight and shaky hands made it less fun.  The last kit I had built (from another source) I had to send to the mftr and pay to have it finished.  But recently a friend talked me into building a kit from DIYaudio at the same time he was building it - kind of a challenge.  As I got into it I kept thinking "Bottlehead did this so much better".  Sometimes the pictures were not clear while the Bottlehead pictures were not only pristine, I could magnify them to the size that there was no question about where to solder. And no parts list so I could make sure it all was there (it was). Occasionally a step was just listed by the part name, with no instructions about how to install it.  I am not trying to badmouth DIYaudio - I think they just assumed that any builder had some experience doing this stuff.  My point is this - thanks to Bottlehead teaching me slowly over a couple of years, I had the knowledge to finish the kit.  All of you should appreciate the trouble that Doc and his crew go to making his kits almost foolproof. Not sure if I'll build anything else, but it's nice to know I have enough knowledge to do so.  Thanks guys (and the Queen too, of course).

PC, J River software, opticaRendu, Schitt Ygg DAC,Tortuga Pre, Torta Radu tube buffer, Linear Tube Audio ZOTL10, Spatial Audio X5w/pair of GR Research dual 12" open baffle servo subwoofers tamed by DSpeaker Dual-Core DSP , Audience AU24 SE  spkr cable, handmade silver interconnects,

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #1 on: October 24, 2020, 12:10:58 PM
Wow, thanks for the kind words, Glynn! We work really, really hard on assembly manuals and customer support. I've always felt that is what can distinguish us from the rest of the manufacturers. Perhaps one of my favorite "complements" was, a few years back, seeing a manual from a competitor (not DIYAudio) that had lifted whole pages of copy from ours.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.