Headphone jack and speaker issues

pofofo · 775

Offline pofofo

on: October 29, 2020, 12:00:32 AM
Hi,

Ive used my SEX daily since I built it in late july this year.

I allways unplug my headphones when I turn it off and of course the headphone jack have been plugged and unplugged a lot. A couple of weeks ago I noticed that the left speaker where playing louder than the right and I traced this problem to the headphone jack. It seems that it doesnt get very good contact with the speaker terminals when I unplug the headphones.

I guess I can order a new headphone jack, but it would probably end up the same after a while. I have reheaded the solder joint on the headphone jack and they look ok.

I was thinking of changing the headphone jack and make a switch to change from headphones to speaker. Has anybody done this before? I would appreciate help with finding the parts best suited for this.

Thank you!

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #1 on: October 29, 2020, 05:54:36 AM
Unplugging your headphones shouldn't be necessary with a SEX amp.  How were you able to determine that the jack was the issue? 

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline pofofo

Reply #2 on: October 29, 2020, 08:06:38 PM
I may be overly cautious with my headphones, but I hear a faint little snap when I turn it off, and its cleaner when I put the cables in drawers.

I didnt hear any balance issues with headphones so I re-soldered the speaker post without it making any difference. Then I saw how the headphone jack worked when headphones where plugged in, I tried to tighten the connectors and cleaned it up and that leveled out the balance on the speakers, for a while.

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #3 on: October 30, 2020, 05:10:45 AM
I would look for a loose wire on the headphone jack or speaker posts.  The contacts either close or they don't. 

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline pofofo

Reply #4 on: October 30, 2020, 11:22:23 AM
ive checked and reflowed them, they look solid, but I guess it wouldnt hurt doing it again. There are some tension difference at the contacts (on the headphone jack) and the loosest are the right channel ones.