Other Gear > Phono

UTurn audio acrylic platter

(1/3) > >>

aragorn723:
Anybody with a UTurn audio turntable have the acrylic platter?  I have been running the standard platter and dust mat for a couple of years, along with the Grado black cartridge.  UTurn claims there is a more detailed sound with the acrylic platter, as well as better speed stability.  Is it worth the upgrade?

Dave

oguinn:
I had it and liked it, but I didn't have the standard platter to compare it to. I thought it sounded good.

aragorn723:
Thanks.  What would make a bigger difference in sound, changing the cartridge or changing to the acrylic platter?

Dave

oguinn:
I’d have to assume the cartridge will have the bigger impact on any table, but I haven’t compared platters. I will say that upgrading the cartridge in the U Turn is something I did do, and that made a very big difference. I went from the OM5E to the Red.

aragorn723:
i'm contemplating going from Grado black to the Ortofon 2M Blue.  Pretty happy with the sound of the Grado black for now, but will probably replace it around the 1000 hour mark.  Recently starting cleaning my stylus, and i'm hearing things I didn't hear before in very familiar recordings.

Dave

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version