recommendations connecting to speakers

lesouthern · 2051

Offline lesouthern

on: October 29, 2020, 09:20:00 AM
Hi-

Is there a particular Bottlehead speaker amplifier intended to be used with Moreplay? It works with regular and integrated amps?

I'm very interested in this preamp, but trying to understand the best way to connect to speakers, or if there is a recommended setup.

thanks,

Larry

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #1 on: October 29, 2020, 09:44:10 AM
This is an interesting subject with some historical background. We started 25 years ago with separate monoblock power amp and preamp kits. With time we found that many people liked having a single stereo amp rather than monoblocks. And we also had requests for something in a smaller package than separates, as a lot of customers had small spaces in which to place their system. And so we effectively took those monoblock power amps and turned them into stereo "integrated" amps simply by adding stereo volume pots and in some cases selectable inputs. The circuit remained essentially the same and what was originally a fixed value input grid resistor on each channel became a variable one.

At this point in time we have both power amps and "integrated" amps of the style mentioned. So by some arbitrary set of "audiophile rules" one might put the Moreplay with the amps that don't have stereo volume pots and or multiple inputs like the Kaiju and MonAmour. However if you just turn the volume pot all the way up on a Stereomour II or S.E.X. amp they can work very well as a power amp, and the Moreplay can give extra gain that might be useful for sources with lower output levels and in the case of the S.E.X. one can also gain the capability for multiple sources.

Short answer, it can work with any of our amps.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline lesouthern

Reply #2 on: November 03, 2020, 10:27:36 AM
Just put my order in for Moreplay.

I appreciate what you are saying- your integrated amps are power amps with more features- volume pots,  more inputs, etc.

Outside of more gain, I am having difficulty justifying why I should buy an amp that has features that I know I'm not going to use, if they are already in my preamp

Would you guys consider offering a power amp kit in the Moreplay price range?

thanks,

-Larry

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #3 on: November 03, 2020, 11:08:23 AM

Would you guys consider offering a power amp kit in the Moreplay price range?

When we last offered such an item, it was possibly the worst selling product we ever created.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline lesouthern

Reply #4 on: November 03, 2020, 11:16:20 AM
Sorry to hear that.

That goes to show how much I know about the market.

Thanks for the responses

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #5 on: November 03, 2020, 11:23:48 AM
Well, it showed us what we know about the market as well ;)

It was something that was asked for frequently and we still get requests for it even now. 

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man