Favorite new production EF86?

johnsonad · 704

Offline johnsonad

on: November 26, 2020, 12:38:48 PM
One of my beloved Tele's is getting noisy and I'm curious about the current stock of EF86's.  Is there anything worth trying?  I'm partial to the Tele's if that gives a baseline of the sound I'm looking for.  Thanks!

Aaron Johnson

Offline BNAL

Reply #1 on: November 28, 2020, 12:40:25 PM
Wish I could help you, but I have been running 6BR7s on your recommendation and have not looked back. The setup sounds great.

I have to get my turntable back in the system. Moved a couple months ago have have not had a chance to hooked it back up.

Brad Nalitt
Iron Upgraded S.E.X. Amp 2.0
Foreplay III
Quickie w/PJCCS
Eros Phono
Blumenstein Orca Speakers, Baby Benthic Subs
S.E.X.y Speakers W/FT17H Horn Tweeters
Thorens TD 125 MkII W/ Shure M97xE JICO SAS Stylus

Offline johnsonad

Reply #2 on: November 28, 2020, 01:14:59 PM
Brad, I love that tube but it will not work in my Eros with the servo circuit removed.  It just doesn't have the same output voltage (?) for some reason. I've been using Tele's in that Eros and love them but they are getting harder and harder to find good, quiet tubes.  Maybe I'll need to put the servo back in.  The Eros tape I had used them and didn't have a problem with the servo in place.

Aaron Johnson

Offline BNAL

Reply #3 on: November 28, 2020, 01:43:48 PM
I remember. I think I’m past all the minute tweaks and just enjoying the music, especially now in the new house. I have my system in the basement with tons of room that gives the speakers room to shine.

Brad Nalitt
Iron Upgraded S.E.X. Amp 2.0
Foreplay III
Quickie w/PJCCS
Eros Phono
Blumenstein Orca Speakers, Baby Benthic Subs
S.E.X.y Speakers W/FT17H Horn Tweeters
Thorens TD 125 MkII W/ Shure M97xE JICO SAS Stylus