Inductance Meters

Jamier · 2464

Offline Jamier

on: May 22, 2019, 04:39:43 PM
I want to make some speaker Xover inductors by unwinding some foil coils that I have to make smaller values. Does anyone have any experience with LCR meters that have induction measurement features? I have found the Amprobe 37XR-A at Digikey but I was wondering how accurate it, or some other meter, is? Good enough for this purpose?

Jamie

James Robbins

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #1 on: May 22, 2019, 05:38:03 PM
I would suggest picking up the DATS system from Parts Express for this.  It has a function that allows you to measure the inductance of speaker crossover inductors, and it does a whole ton more that you may find useful down the road.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline trobbins

Reply #2 on: May 25, 2021, 05:43:26 PM
I can recommend using a soundcard and REW software with REW's impedance measurement setup.  This effectively provides an LCR meter, and more, as it shows a parts impedance across the frequency response range of your soundcard and provides a calculation of the inductance or capacitance or resistance at any particular frequency within that range (eg. at 1kHz where many standalone meters operate).  The calibration depends only on the precision of a resistor used for setup - and that accuracy translates to accurate capacitance and inductance measurements without the need for a precision cap or inductor.

Tim Robbins